Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    markm0926 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2010, 07:01 PM
    Installing a tub in mortar problem/question
    I could really use your help with a question;

We recently had a new re-model tub installed.(Veritek BA-3060) Our contractor did not install this in mortar per the manufacturers instructions thus voiding the warranty. Plus it leeks through one of the walls because it is installed crooked.

He now wants to come out and make things right, but keeps warning us that he does not like mortar and we are going to hear creaking and cracking if he installs this way. Setting us up for this ahead of time. Of course the manufactures says " if the mortar is installed correctly you won't hear any cracking".
    The contractor explains with the expanding and contracting of the tub with hot or cold water is what caused the space, and the creaking, which seems to make some sense.

Is this correct? Or could you explain the correct way to install the tub in mortar so I can make sure he does this correctly?

Thanks in advance
    Mark
    Rockfall, CT
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 11, 2010, 08:25 PM

Instead of mortar tryt modified thinset or USG STRUCTO-LITE Basecoat Plaster by USG Corporation Remind your contrator that he must install per manufacturers instructions or you will hold back money. Do not pay any contractor in full until the job is done and tested

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat installing problem [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have removed my old dial thermostat and it had two wires connected to it red & yellow, a third wire, green was not connected but sticking out of the wall. I have just purchased a Honeywell 3200 programmable model and connected red to R and yellow to W. Nothing works... do I need to connect...

What type of mortar to set a tub? [ 2 Answers ]

What type for mortar does one buy to set a plastic tub into to make it a bit more solid underfoot? This would be on top of a plywood subfloor. Thanks

What type of mortar for setting a tub? [ 2 Answers ]

What type for mortar does one buy to set a plastic tub into to make it a bit more solid underfoot? This would be on top of a plywood subfloor. Thanks?

Mortar bed for a plastic tub? [ 0 Answers ]

What is the SOP for putting a simple mortar bed under a plastic tub? This unit does not require one ( a Sterling Ensemble 32") but someone recommended that for a firmer underfoot feel I should "throw down a sheet of plastic, mix up a bag of mortar and just set the tub on it". Does this sound...

View more questions Search