Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PinkyPenguin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 09:13 PM
    Sugar shock
    I have a long coat chihuahua named Louie. He is just 10 weeks old an such a sweetheart. But he has a problem with low blood sugar. I took him to the vet because he had suddenly become sick overnight. He was perfecty fine and playful before bed and in the morning he could not lift his head. The vet said he was hypoglycemic and gave him a sugar solution and he perked up within a half hour. Now I give him the sugar every 3 hours and even have to wake him at night to give him some so he will not be so low in the morning. Does any one know if this is common in chihuahuas and will he grow out of at as he gets older?
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Nov 30, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Call the breeder - Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

This sure sounds like a congenital (inherited) problem to me... If you got it from a store, odds are that it is a puppymill dog in which case you have no recourse.

PLEASE do not return the pup to the store because they are most often destroyed if returned. If you can't deal with the problem or if your vet isn't helpful, please consider a surrender to a breed rescue. They are the best suited to know the ins and outs of the breed and what to expect.

Good luck !

-Beth
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2006, 02:19 PM
    Very likely badams007 is correct. Otherwise, is there any chance he may have gotten into some sugarless gum or any thing else that might contain Xylitol? It is a fairly new artificial sweetener and causes a massive production of insulin in dogs and a sudden drop blood sugar. It takes a while for word to get out on new hazards like Xylitol.

It even is taking the problems with grapes and raisins a long time to be commonly known. Aesop' fox could have said the grapes would ruin my kidneys rather than that they were sour.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How much sugar is in milk? [ 12 Answers ]

How many grams of sugar does an 8 ounce glass of milk provide?

Who remade the Archies song "Sugar Sugar"? [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: Please, who's the artist who remade the Archies song "Sugar Sugar" with changed lyrics.. "Honey, I gotta lotta money.."?

Shock collars,are they very good. [ 8 Answers ]

My Wife is most likely going to get one for our 11 week old great dane. This puppy is a monster he is getting a little better but not much.

Brown Sugar [ 9 Answers ]

What is the Chemical Formula for Brown Sugar?

How many grams of sugar [ 4 Answers ]

How many grams sugar should a healthy adult have a day?

View more questions Search