Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2010, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    Okay. They're digital photos; does the time/date stamp on the file help, or is that irrelevant?
    Hello again, d:

It's NOT irrelevant. It's just not as good as the date on a newspaper in your photograph. It'll probably be OK. I'm just a hard nosed guy who doesn't want to leave anything to chance in these matters, and that's how I advise my clients to be. Besides, they had their chance to handle it nicely.

excon
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, d:

It's NOT irrelevant. It's just not as good as the date on a newspaper in your photograph. It'll probably be ok. I'm just a hard nosed guy who doesn't want to leave anything to chance in these matters, and that's how I advise my clients to be. Besides, they had their chance to handle it nicely.

excon
    Good enough. I'll buy a paper and take some more pix. Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2010, 11:15 AM
    Good enough. I'll buy a paper and take some more pix. Thanks!
    They didn't show (big surprise). We took video of the place and used the newspaper trick to show the date. I did another walk-through with commentary, showing that the place is immaculate; there are a couple of mini-blinds with a few ends broken off and I documented those, just to prove I'm being flagrantly honest. My next step is to put the keys in an envelope, seal it and date it, and drop it in the rent slot this evening (the earliest I can do so). I'm also composing the letter detailing our attempts to have a walk-through and their blatant stalling.

Quick follow-up question about the letter: I was considering cc'ing it to the lawyer. Would that be good, bad, or indifferent?
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2010, 11:39 AM
    Quick follow-up question about the letter: I was considering cc'ing it to the lawyer. Would that be good, bad, or indifferent?
    Hello again, d:

No need to give him a heads up. The letter is for your OWN purposes.

excon
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2010, 12:28 PM
    Hello again, d:

No need to give him a heads up. The letter is for your OWN purposes.

excon
    That saves me the cost of a second certified stamp. Thanks.
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2010, 01:50 PM
    Turned the keys in last night after hours. I have video of putting them in an envelope with an explanatory note, sealing the envelope and writing yesterday's date across the seal to prevent tampering, showing the envelope on both sides outside the office and dropping it in the night drop slot.

I suppose what happens next should be interesting to me, but having finally gotten clear away from that place, I really don't give a poop.
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2010, 03:06 PM

Well, the other shoe has finally dropped. This chick is definitely on a personal vendetta, and she's trying to go for the throat. I told them we had extensive photos, video and the like to verify the condition of the place, but today I got a bill. Not only did she include the utility charge, she slapped over $1000 extra onto it for carpet replacement. So she wants $1124.74 from us on top of the $600 deposit. Nice person. Really.

I have the numbers of a couple of advocacy groups; I think it's time to call them. I can't do this alone.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2010, 03:29 PM

Hello again, d:

Wassa matta? We're not a good enough advocacy group for you? Look, nothing happened here that I/you didn't anticipate happening. It's real simple, you go to the courthouse and file a small claims lawsuit for your deposit, and any money you're out because of the other bill thing, if any. I can't remember if there is, and I didn't go back. She'll countersue for what she thinks you owe her, and the judge will decide.

Ain't no big deal. You don't need your hand held.

excon
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2010, 05:16 PM
    Hello again, d:

Wassa matta? We're not a good enough advocacy group for ya? Look, nothing happened here that I/you didn't anticipate happening. It's real simple, you go to the courthouse and file a small claims lawsuit for your deposit, and any money you're out because of the other bill thing, if any. I can't remember if there is, and I didn't go back. She'll countersue for what she thinks you owe her, and the judge will decide.

Ain't no big deal. You don't need your hand held.

excon
    I know all that. I'd like to get out of this without having to with court, partly because I don't have the time. But it's probably not going to happen.

Still, I'm going to try a letter first. There's a new manager over there who might accidentally be reasonable. One never knows. Not dissing your advice or ignoring it, but I've got to try it this way before going to court.
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2010, 11:54 AM

Okay, I had one of those "duu-uu-uh" moments as I read back through the later parts of this thread. The big reason I want to avoid court is proximity: it's 600 miles from my place in Boise to where they are. I can't believe I forgot to mention that... sorry.
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 11:59 AM
    knock yourself out, but you'll come crawling back... Just you watch...
    Actually, I never crawled away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Right of Landlord to photograph Tenant's apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, My landlord has informed me, in writing, that a professional photographer will be photographing my apartment for use on the landlord's website. He did not ask for permission to photograph my possessions I was just told to make my apartment available. Must I allow the photography to take...

Dog forgets his tricks? [ 15 Answers ]

I taught my dog to roll over a few weeks ago, started with rolling him over and teling him roll over. In about a week he had the trick down to a t. I made sure to ask him to do the trick a few times a day so he wouldn't forget, than one afternoon I asked him to roll over so he layed down and went...

What to do when your husband forgets where home is? [ 4 Answers ]

Wow Today This Is Hard For Me, Im Going To Put My Life On The Computer For Everyone To Know, Well Ive Been With My Husband For 9 Years We've Been Married For Only 3, No Kids, And We Have Been Through Just About Everything That A Marriage Can Go Through In One Lifetime. Just To Start With My...

Can A Landlord Be Held Accountable For Tenant's Actions [ 9 Answers ]

My mother is a tenant in a duplex. Last week, the tenant on the other side was arrested for drugs, both possession and selling. This single mother has two teenagers and the three of them have kept Mom up all hours of the night banging and some noises even sound like gun fire. They continually block...

Landlord is giving out tenant's personal info [ 2 Answers ]

I live upstairs from my landlord and lately her and I have been having disputes. I have now been receiving calls from friends and family of her's that she gave my number to even after I told her not to give out my phone number. Can I sue my landlord for harassment?

View more questions Search