Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommyof2girls Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2010, 08:47 AM
    I know my supervisor breaks HIPPA.. What do I do?
    I work for a small medical office and when I started working here I noticed there were no shred boxes. We were told to just throw them in the trash.. Well my supervisor has us throw EVERYTHING in the trash that is just thrown out in a dumpster. It has all of the patients info from, name, DOB, SS#, address and personal info. I know this is against HIPPA and want to know how to get this corrected. I have suggested shred boxes but that is an extra expense for them.. WHAT!! Anyone know who I can contact?
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Mar 11, 2010, 08:54 AM

The Office for Civil Rights enforces the HIPAA Privacy Rule, which protects the privacy of individually identifiable health information; the HIPAA Security Rule, which sets national standards for the security of electronic protected health information; and the confidentiality provisions of the Patient Safety Rule, which protect identifiable information being used to analyze patient safety events and improve patient safety.

How To File a Complaint
    If you believe that a covered entity violated your (or someone else’s) health information privacy rights or committed another violation of the Privacy or Security Rule, you may file a complaint with OCR. OCR can investigate complaints against covered entities.

COMPLAINT REQUIREMENTS - Your complaint must:

Be filed in writing, either on paper or electronically, by mail, fax, or e-mail;
    Name the covered entity involved and describe the acts or omissions you believe violated the requirements of the Privacy or Security Rule; and
    Be filed within 180 days of when you knew that the act or omission complained of occurred. OCR may extend the 180-day period if you can show "good cause."
    ANYONE CAN FILE! - Anyone can file a complaint alleging a violation of the Privacy or Security Rule. We recommend that you use the OCR Health Information Privacy Complaint Form Package. You can also request a copy of this form from an OCR regional office. If you need help filing a complaint or have a question about the complaint or consent forms, please e-mail OCR at [email protected].

HIPAA PROHIBITS RETALIATION - Under HIPAA an entity cannot retaliate against you for filing a complaint. You should notify OCR immediately in the event of any retaliatory action.

For information and help on how to submit a complaint go to the HHS (Health and Human Services) site and all the information is there for you.

Here is the link:
    How To File a Complaint

Good luck!

Shirley
    mommyof2girls Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2010, 09:09 AM

Thanks so much Shirley.. I really appreciate it!
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Mar 11, 2010, 09:10 AM

No problem, you are most welcome.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPPA Violation by Supervisor [ 4 Answers ]

I am a home care nurse and recently returned to work after recovering from an injury. My first assignment required me to lift and carry a patient outside the home for which I would not be covered as it is against policy. I refused and my supervisor told the patient's mother that I would not do it...

Florida law regarding breaks and lunch breaks [ 17 Answers ]

I am searching for the law pertaining to Florida breaks and lunch breaks for at will employees. Thank you

Did my supervisor Violate my HIPPA rights [ 3 Answers ]

I am a nurse at a healthcare facility and I sought the care of one of our social workers/counclers. My supervisor later questioned her as to the nature of my visit and why I was going over to speak with her on my breaks and lunches. She did not tell him but suggested that he was violating Hippa...

Is my supervisor interested in me [ 26 Answers ]

Hey I just started a new job a few weeks ago and I think my boss is interested in me... he keeps gazing at me in the eyes and asking personal questions,I even noticed him getting flustered while I was training and lauging with another supervisor.. my intuition is telling me yes, but I need some...

View more questions Search