Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nantiluk Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2010, 07:44 AM
    I have installed a new wax seal twice and I still have leakage.flange is 1/4 above fl
    Installed anew wax seal twice now and still have leakage at the base of the bowl.Flange is pvc and is about 1/4" above floor level.what might be the problem.How do I fix this.tx
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2010, 08:06 AM

Are you sure the floor is stable and the toilet isn't moving at all when its in place? If the toilet moves at all, you will break that seal over time. And it sounds like that's what is happening.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2010, 08:12 AM

Hi all:

Did you install an entire new toilet or working with an older toilet... let me know?

Mark

Mar 11, 2010, 09:05 AM

Hi mark-this is a new toilet.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2010, 09:41 AM

The toilet should absorb that 1/4". I would not use wax ring with flange but rather the "skinny" wax ring. That's because there is less to compress. As a result it will allow toilet to go down as much as possible.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2010, 11:27 AM

Hi Nantiluk:

If a new toilet install I wanted you to double check the tank to bowl connection. Sometimes, when a new toilet gets installed a leak can occur between the toilet tank and the toilet bowl connections and it can show up looking like a wax ring seal issue... ;) Check the rear of the toilet just below where the toilet connects to the tank... use toilet paper to check for wetness here... could be the issue, too!

Otherwise, tell us a little more about what the wax gasket looked like after you lifted the toilet after the first wax gasket leaked... was it a good looking seal or was it offset or squished to one side?

Did you set the toilet bowl first and then connect the tank to bowl? If not, this would probably aid in setting the bowl squarely and level...

Back to you...

Mark

Mar 11, 2010, 11:28 AM

Milo-tx for the reply.But that's exactly what I used on my 2 previous attempts.yet got a leak in both cases.so there's got to be something else.maybe I did something wrong.
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2010, 11:35 AM

Do you install the wax ring first and than toilet on top of it ? Or, do you put wax ring onto the toilet and then set them on the closet ring ?

It seems to me you are not setting the toilet straight onto the hole. Any movement left or right will move wax ring causing a leak.

There is a certain skill every plumber develops in installing toilets. If you are doing it for the first time - then I would suggest you utilize help of another person. Set toilet directly down and onto the bolts. Straight on. One movement in downward direction. Toilet will be guided by the bolts. Once bolts are through the opening in the base of the toilet, gently press on the bowl. It will compress the wax ring and eventually sit on the floor. Tighten up the bolts. Do not overtighten. See what it does...

Mar 11, 2010, 11:46 AM

Mark-there was no leakage between the bowl and the tank.I checked it very carefuly.I set the wax seal on the flange then the bowl on top of it.Dint pay attention to the seal after removal

Mar 11, 2010, 11:49 AM

Milo-yes I put the seal down on the flange then the bowl.well I aligned the bolts very carefully and didn't encounter any problem in slidiong the bowl down.then I sat on it.

Mar 11, 2010, 12:00 PM

Mark-the bowl is sitting on the floor right now,no seal(dont have any.)checked the level and it is off by about 1/8"to the right.(lower).marked the contour of the bowl with tape on the floor.
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2010, 12:22 PM

Does the water appear with every flush? Or is it only wetness around the base of the toilet ?

Mar 11, 2010, 01:02 PM

Milo-the odd thing is that after having poured in a great quantity of water in the bowl everything remains dry for quite a while,then the water appears at the base,evrytime after I flushed??

Mar 11, 2010, 01:07 PM

Milo-by the way the water always appears on the right side of the bowl when facing it
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2010, 01:56 PM

Open the lid and make sure the 1/4" fill tubing is inserted into the overflow tube. Sometimes it sprays onto the lid and outside the tank.

Also, make sure toilet doesn't fill too high. Some toilets have overfill tube too tall allowing tank to fill all the way to the top. In this case, water would overflow through handle opening.

In addition to wax leak: It can leak from the seal bet. The tank and bowl. Also, it can leak from tank bolts.

I would also check the angle stop and water supply. They may drip on the floor, travel to the base...

Please, check it out. Observe tank filling with lid off. Watch for oversprays or any abnormality during fill up.

There could be hair line crack in the bowl. Such cracks are hard to notice. Go over the porcelain surface with your finger nails and feel for cracs. Or take cigarette ashes and spread them over the bowl. It will show the crack

Mar 11, 2010, 03:23 PM

Milo-tx but for the time being I can't do anything,everything is dismantled and will have to wait until the next reinstallation.

Mark-how do I send you the pictures I took of the seal and the flange after I just removed the bowl.

Mark
    Attached Images

Mar 16, 2010, 07:51 AM

Mark-I just installed my bowl for the 3rd time.For a long while I thought evrything was OK.no leakage at the base.but then,there was the water again.How do I insert a picture of the seal
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2010, 08:19 AM

To attach a picture to your post, do the following.
    1. Click advance
    2. Scroll down and click on the manage attachment.
    3. Manage attachment window will open.
    4. Click on Brows, chose your picture where it is located.
    5. Double click on the picture.
    6. Once it in the box to the left of the Brows, then click on the upload to the right of the brows.
    7. Now it will show in the upload file from a URL box.
    8. Close the manage attachment window and hit submit answer and you are done, good luck.

John

Mar 16, 2010, 08:31 AM

Thank you very much John.it worked nicely
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 16, 2010, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the photos. Closet ring and wax ring look good to me. I would concentrate on :

1. Tank to Bowl connection
    2. Angle stop
    3. Flexible Water supply
    4. Crack in the Bowl ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I really need to replace the wax seal? [ 5 Answers ]

I accidentally flushed the head of my electric razor down the toilet this morning. I want to take off the toilet to see if the head made it all the way down into the sewer drain or if it is stuck somewhere in the toilet. Since the wax seal is not bad, do I need to replace it when I take off the...

Toilet mounted without wax seal, 1930's [ 10 Answers ]

I had to take up a toilet installed around 1938, it used a wall mounted tank just above the bowl. The bowl was not bolted to the concrete floor, but instead the bottom of the bowl was filled with something like plaster, but harder, which held the bowl to the floor, and provided a seal to the 4"...

Wax Seal . Odor [ 7 Answers ]

Is it possible for a wax seal to allow odor to seep through but not leak water ? Should a wax seal be replaced every so many years ? (how many) Thanks

Toilet wax seal [ 10 Answers ]

From what I've been reading, I'm guessing my new toilet is not sitting on the wax seal correctly. You have to hold the handle down to let it flush all the way and there is a Very faint but bad oder that smells like a foul oder being covered up with air freshener. This started happening after a...

New wax seal, now water backing up [ 9 Answers ]

When we replaced a toilet, the wax seal did not seat properly, I finally nagged my husband to fix, he replaced it yesterday, and it seated. Then when I took shower, commode started gurgling, then water backed up in shower in other room, and both toilets where low in water. This morning seemed fine,...

View more questions Search