Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nantiluk Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2010, 09:37 AM

To all those who helped me I am glad to tell you that I reinstalled my bowl and have no leaks so far.
    So it looks as if evrything is o.k.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 20, 2010, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Milo, Lere,
    Are you guys saying that this is a normal bowl and not a manufactures defect?

I can't buy that Lee. When the factory makes a boo-boo they make a porcelain plug and hope it holds. In my time Briggs was great on passing defective bowls after they pligged a hole. Sometimes the patch held and sometimes we were out there replacing bowls under warranty. Talk to me guys! Would you install this bowl?? Tom

Hi Tom. Ive actually seen the white silicone on the underside of some brands of toilets. Im not familiar with the manufacturing process of toilets, I just know that I've seen it more than a few times. Never had a problem with them toilets, so I'm assuming it's a normal thing these days. I never really thought all that much about it, just saw it when inspecting new toilets as I take them out of the box(surprising how many are damaged during shipping). I would have set the bowl before caulking was removed, but after it was removed, I personally would not reset the bowl, or attempt to reseal the hole myself, for liability reasons. At that point I would have opted for a replacement bowl. Ill be keeping my eyes open to look specifically for the silicone from here on out, got me interested now. Sorry for the late response, been busy.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 20, 2010, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nantiluk View Post
    to all those who helped me I am glad to tell you that I reinstalled my bowl and have no leaks so far.
    so it looks as if evrything is o.k.
    Glad to hear things are leak free. Fingers crossed.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 21, 2010, 01:07 AM

Glad you got it resolved !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I really need to replace the wax seal? [ 5 Answers ]

I accidentally flushed the head of my electric razor down the toilet this morning. I want to take off the toilet to see if the head made it all the way down into the sewer drain or if it is stuck somewhere in the toilet. Since the wax seal is not bad, do I need to replace it when I take off the...

Toilet mounted without wax seal, 1930's [ 10 Answers ]

I had to take up a toilet installed around 1938, it used a wall mounted tank just above the bowl. The bowl was not bolted to the concrete floor, but instead the bottom of the bowl was filled with something like plaster, but harder, which held the bowl to the floor, and provided a seal to the 4"...

Wax Seal . Odor [ 7 Answers ]

Is it possible for a wax seal to allow odor to seep through but not leak water ? Should a wax seal be replaced every so many years ? (how many) Thanks

Toilet wax seal [ 10 Answers ]

From what I've been reading, I'm guessing my new toilet is not sitting on the wax seal correctly. You have to hold the handle down to let it flush all the way and there is a Very faint but bad oder that smells like a foul oder being covered up with air freshener. This started happening after a...

New wax seal, now water backing up [ 9 Answers ]

When we replaced a toilet, the wax seal did not seat properly, I finally nagged my husband to fix, he replaced it yesterday, and it seated. Then when I took shower, commode started gurgling, then water backed up in shower in other room, and both toilets where low in water. This morning seemed fine,...

View more questions Search