Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nantiluk Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2010, 09:28 AM

Tank to bowl no water-flexilble water supply no water.you suggested gicarettes ashes on the bowl(porcelain part I guess)bowl must be wet also.

Mar 16, 2010, 09:29 AM

What is angle stop
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 16, 2010, 09:31 AM

Angle stop is the valve that supplies toilet with water. There is a water supply connector attached to it connecting angle stop with toilet bowl.
    Attached Images

Mar 16, 2010, 10:33 AM

Milo-tx.could I install another wax ring on top of the one I just removed but still attached to the bowl
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 16, 2010, 10:35 AM

Yes, use the skinny wax ring ( without the flange )...

Mar 16, 2010, 11:19 AM

Milo-gone try it and see what happens.tx for all your help
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 16, 2010, 11:28 AM

Let us know how how you did...

Mar 17, 2010, 10:19 AM

Milo-trying to post a picture to you.aint working?
    Attached Images

Mar 17, 2010, 10:20 AM

Milo-finally got it going.What is this hole in the bowl? This was filled up with silicone.Could this cause the leak I am having.By the way my reinstall did not work.still leakage
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 17, 2010, 12:13 PM

Excellent advice from the other experts that covered all the bases except one. Wax seals are designed to prevent leakage from a discharge when you flush.
    However, they are not designed to prevent a leakage if there's a partial blockage that bounces water back up the line and then drains away. Could it be that you have a partial clog that's sending water back up past the wax seal for a instant and then draining away?
    I offer this because all the other reasons have been mentioned and I've run into it before.
    Good luck, Tom

Mar 18, 2010, 05:55 AM

Tom
    Tx for the comments.well I like to point out that at the present time only the bowl is installed no tank.I poured in a bit of water(24oz).also,I did not have any leakage
    When my old bowl & tank were installed so there couldn't have been any back up right?In any event I am at a total loss as to what causes this leakage.Dont know what to do now.

Tom

What is this hole in the bowl.It was completely filled up with silicone.(see picture)

Here it is
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Mar 18, 2010, 06:21 AM

What's the brand name on the bowl? The hiole looks like a jet.
    Who filled it with Silicon Jel. If it came that way I'd ask for a replacement or purchase a major brand. Good luck Tom

Mar 18, 2010, 07:02 AM

This is a Crane bowl.and that is a major brand.hole was filled when I got it.Hole is also blind,doesn't lead anywhere.
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 18, 2010, 07:07 AM

At this point I would plug the hole again. Maybe it should be plugged in first place. Or I would take it back to the store and exchange it for another bowl. There is slim chance 2 bowls will have same problem.

It is possible the hole is there left from manufacturing process. Since the bowl has hollow compartment I imagine the hole is there to vent hot gases during drying. Then it is plugged.

Mar 18, 2010, 11:12 AM

Milo-tx
    I guess so. In any event it doesn't solve my problem.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 18, 2010, 03:16 PM

At this point I would set the toilet up on a couple of sawhorses and run some water through it. This will show you if there is a leak in the underside of the bowl.

PS. Milo is correct, that hole that was filled with silicone needs to be filled with silicone, they come from the factory that way.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 18, 2010, 04:16 PM

hole was filled when I got it.Hole is also blind,doesn't lead anywhere.
    Milo, Lere,
    Are you guys saying that this is a normal bowl and not a manufactures defect?
    Is this the way toilet bowls are made now days? If so quality control sure has changed since I retired.
    If this were my call I'd take that bowl back and exchange it for a siphon jet ( instead of a gravity flush wash down) bowl by a different manufacture If this were your customer would you install and guarantee the install?
    It is possible the hole is there left from manufacturing process. Since the bowl has hollow compartment I imagine the hole is there to vent hot gases during drying. Then it is plugged.
    I can't buy that Lee. When the factory makes a boo-boo they make a porcelain plug and hope it holds. In my time Briggs was great on passing defective bowls after they pligged a hole. Sometimes the patch held and sometimes we were out there replacing bowls under warranty. Talk to me guys! Would you install this bowl? Tom

Mar 19, 2010, 05:44 AM

mygirlsdad77

Tx for your sggestions.I did put the bowl on horses and filled it with water.After a while I checked it and there was absolutely no trace of any water.By the way I filled up that hole with silicone.
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 19, 2010, 07:17 AM

Now, if there is a hole for water to get in - there has to be another hole for water to leak out. Did you look where the second hole is ?

Installing toilet is a one shot deal. We rarely have problems like yours and have to lift freshly set toilet. If I had to do it so many times as you - I would find it more economical to bring it back to the store for exchange or complain to the manufacturer requesting new replacement toilet with installation fee refund.

Mar 19, 2010, 08:10 AM

Milo-at this point I merely want to find out what is causing the leak.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I really need to replace the wax seal? [ 5 Answers ]

I accidentally flushed the head of my electric razor down the toilet this morning. I want to take off the toilet to see if the head made it all the way down into the sewer drain or if it is stuck somewhere in the toilet. Since the wax seal is not bad, do I need to replace it when I take off the...

Toilet mounted without wax seal, 1930's [ 10 Answers ]

I had to take up a toilet installed around 1938, it used a wall mounted tank just above the bowl. The bowl was not bolted to the concrete floor, but instead the bottom of the bowl was filled with something like plaster, but harder, which held the bowl to the floor, and provided a seal to the 4"...

Wax Seal . Odor [ 7 Answers ]

Is it possible for a wax seal to allow odor to seep through but not leak water ? Should a wax seal be replaced every so many years ? (how many) Thanks

Toilet wax seal [ 10 Answers ]

From what I've been reading, I'm guessing my new toilet is not sitting on the wax seal correctly. You have to hold the handle down to let it flush all the way and there is a Very faint but bad oder that smells like a foul oder being covered up with air freshener. This started happening after a...

New wax seal, now water backing up [ 9 Answers ]

When we replaced a toilet, the wax seal did not seat properly, I finally nagged my husband to fix, he replaced it yesterday, and it seated. Then when I took shower, commode started gurgling, then water backed up in shower in other room, and both toilets where low in water. This morning seemed fine,...

View more questions Search