Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amyrenforth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 07:47 PM
    Atomic bomb
    Hi, I am writing a paper for a class and need to know who it was that made the atomic bomb and then later stated that he regreted it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 29, 2006, 07:51 PM
    In November 1954, five months before his death, Albert Einstein summarized his feelings about his role in the creation of the atomic bomb: "I made one great mistake in my life... when I signed the letter to President Roosevelt recommending that atom bombs be made; but there was some justification - the danger that the Germans would make them."

*** (personal note) Now he actually only provided the ideas that allowed the bomb to be made, he did not actually do the bomb research from my understanding.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Dec 11, 2006, 10:58 PM
    Here are two more physicists who later regretted their contributions

Robert Wilson, The Conscience of a Physicist, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, June 1970, [a Manhattan Project division leader tells why he worked on the a-bomb and why he wishes he had quit]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_R._Wilson

Rudolf Peierls, Reflections of a British Participant, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, Aug. 1985, [early a-bomb scientist talks about his a-bomb work and his regrets over the a-bombings]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Peierls
    cowardleelion Posts: 26, Reputation: 5

Feb 19, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amyrenforth
    Hi, I am writing a paper for a class and need to know who it was that made the atomic bomb and then later stated that he regreted it?
    Perhaps J Robert Oppenheimer (1904-1967) He was the director of the Manhattan Project, and was known as "The father of the Atomic Bomb". He lamented the weapons killing power after it was used to destroy two Japanese cities. Eventually his security clearance was revoked.
    Ashlea111905 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amyrenforth
    I think that Oppenheimer along with Einstein created the Atomic bomb for the use of Hiroshima and Nagasaki... This was called the Manhatten Project...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bug bomb fumes in my apartment [ 3 Answers ]

My land lord set off flea bombs in the apartment below us and all the fumes and gases from them started to come upstairs into my apartment and they are very toxic to humans and to my pets,:eek: They did not give me any notice that they were going to do so and I wanted to know if I have any grounds...

Atomic structure-orbitals [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please explain how to draw orbitals for an atom and which planes they lie in. especially the p orbitals the 3 different ways they lie and how they are named i.e pxy etc. Can someone tell me how to draw the 2pz angular function and state what this tells me about the electron density...

View more questions Search