Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FloydV Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 07:20 PM
    FBI fingerprint identification
    I know someone who has a class A felony conviction dating back to 30 years ago. When he was finger printed for a job at a bank, his report came back clean. He has been working there for two years now. How is that possible? Are files ever dropped from the database because of their age?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 29, 2006, 08:01 PM
    1. Ok, let me try and clear this up again, Fingerprint check only determines who they are, that they have not been arrested or registered under some other name.

2. You criminal background is found out their the NCIC report or criminal background, done at the same time, but not the same thing.

30 years ago, things were not put on computers, ( there were no computers) and unless the county court house where he was convicted has went back and added those past cases into the data bank, they can't be found without doing a physcial check of those court records.

Also was the felony explunged latter,

Were they convicted, not just charged ?

Nov 29, 2006, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    1. Ok, let me try and clear this up again, Fingerprint check only determines who they are, that they have not been arrested or registered under some other name.

2. You criminal background is found out thier the NCIC report or criminal background, done at the same time, but not the same thing.

30 years ago, things were not put on computers, ( there were no computers) and unless the county court house where he was convicted has went back and added those past cases into the data bank, they can't be found without doing a physcial check of those court records.

Also was the felony explunged latter,

were they convicted, not just charged ?
    I don't want to get the guy identified, since he is a good citizen now. But he was arrested, convicted, and served 5 years in a federal prison. He wouldn't have applied, figuring he would just be rejected, but I told him "What the heck, see what happens." Turns out nothing happened. He is handling loans and mortgages and stuff like that now. I think he was around 25 when he was convicted, and there weren't any special circumstances that I know about.

I'm glad for him, because he is really a good guy. I don't think it always works like you see on CSI though.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2006, 08:50 PM
    Hello Floyd:

I have a few felonies myself dating to 1963. I recently ran a criminal background check on myself. Guess what? I'm a model citizen. I don't know why.

excon

Nov 29, 2006, 09:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Floyd:

I have a few felonies myself dating to 1963. I recently ran a criminal background check on myself. Guess what? I'm a model citizen. I dunno why.

excon
    I'm glad for you. Maybe God gives people a break sometimes?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 10:03 AM
    They may be. A 30-year-old conviction probably wouldn't carry much weight when it came to a mere banking job. Especially if it didn't involve any type of theft or white-collar crime.
    jollyholly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FloydV
    I know someone who has a class A felony conviction dating back to 30 years ago. When he was finger printed for a job at a bank, his report came back clean. He has been working there for two years now. How is that possible? Are files ever dropped from the database because of their age?
    Most employers only go back 10 years. Some 7 but banks usually 10.

Hopr this helps
    pmcd49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Also, depends on the state. For instance, if you look at the fine detail of most companies that perform background checks you will see that New Jersey only goes back to 1984. So the question is, if you had a convistion prior to 1984 will it show up on a bckground check?
    I don't think so.
    rlrl2010 Posts: 85, Reputation: 3

Jun 10, 2010, 06:33 PM

Well sometimes the computer systems can't hold records going back past a certain point like the NY State Office Of Court Administration computer search goes back to 1981 and 1976 in certain jurisdictions, so the records may not show on a computer search but they still can be researched by paying extra fees to search them. There is always a paper file no matter how old it is

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fingerprinting by FBI for adoption [ 6 Answers ]

If there is an arrest for Theft by Taking, but no conviction, does one need to get the record expunged? If the record is expunged, wiil the information that is pulled up by fingerprinting for adoption look any different than if it was not expunged? Is it assumed that if a fingerprint number...

Identification [ 5 Answers ]

Here is a picture of a pump installation of some sort in my basement. The basement is 1/2 underground. There is a pump inside that seems to be stuck running. It has been running consistently for several hours. The house (and I assume) the pump is about 16 years old. Does this appear to be a...

Help Movie Identification [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to ID an animated feature about two dragons I saw as a child. There is an old, wise dragon and a young dragon who is something of an apprentice. Part of the plot has them preparing to fight an evil ogre. The older dragon teaches the younger how to fight the ogre, but when the younger...

View more questions Search