Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Feedandseed Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2010, 02:12 PM
    Bathroom circuit keeps tripping
    The bathroom in my house keeps tripping. A fan with a built in heater, an overhead light and a few bedroom outlets are installed on the same 15 amp circuit. The thing that gets me is the circuit takes a minute or two of use with the heater on before it trips. It is not grounding as far as I can tell (no continuity from the hot to the neutral or ground). Is the breaker just heating up and then popping after enough current has passed? I'd like two put in two 20 amp circuits, one for the outlet, one for the fan. Can I run 10/3 wire too the bathroom and share the neutral? Is that normal for a circuit breaker to wait a moment before tripping? It also trips when a hair dryer is running.
    denman Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2010, 04:41 PM

The heater should have a dedicated circuit @ 20 amps. Anything with heating elements draws a lot of amperage. Hair dryer is another big draw, but if you do what you suggested and separate the heater from the other devices, you should be fine. You can use 12/3 wire and share neutral and ground. I would run 1 circuit to heater only, and the other circuit to the fan, light and outlet. Hope this helps.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 05:16 PM

Run one circuit to the heat/fan/light unit, and one to the receptacle. This way you do not have two circuits feeding the fan unit.
    The heater element itself does NOT need a circuit on it's own. It is likely only 1500 watts tops.

I agree, use #12. No reason at all to use #10.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 07:31 PM

Every haeter/fan/light I have installed called for a dedicated 20 amp circuit with #12 wire, minimum. The only reason to use #10 is if you have a huge supply with no otheruse for it
    Feedandseed Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2010, 02:15 PM

Just out of curiosity though, I though that bring housing two circuits in one box (the fan housing) is generally a bad idea?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Feedandseed View Post
    Just out of curiosity though, i though that bring housing two circuits in one box (the fan housing) is generally a bad idea?
    Nope. Not necessarily.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit breaker keeps tripping [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a new townhouse, but one month coming in, I have trouble with my distribution board... one of the circuit breakers 15amp, keeps tripping of late and is affecting my lighting and sockets which I find strange because it seems to me that those two ought to be separate. Could their be an...

A/C Circuit Breaker Tripping [ 3 Answers ]

Our A/C circuit breaker started tripping as the weather got hotter. It got to the point where it would trip after the A/C being on for less than a minute. I reset all the breakers, pulled the filters out of the vents and it continued to trip. The breaker would be very hot when I would check on it....

AC Circuit Breaker Tripping [ 4 Answers ]

My Trane AHU/CU cools great except that twice in the last 2 weeks the circuit breaker has tripped. Both times I have noticed it has got hotter in the house, I go out in the garage and the AHU Blower is blowing but the CU is not running. I check the panel and the circuit breaker is tripped. I reset...

Circuit Breaker Tripping [ 1 Answers ]

We have installed a electrical box on the home that houses a 20 amp fuse w:gfi off the meter, then ran the wires to a outdoor box w: a gfi plug & a on/off switch. Seems to be wired correctly, but the 20 amp fuse keeps tripping. Thank You in Advance for any help, Michael

Tripping circuit [ 1 Answers ]

A circuit has been tripping for the last couple of days. It is the circuit in my garage (that also feeds the water sprinkler). For years I had no problem, AND THERE ARE NO NEW ADDITIONAL ITEMS PLUGGED IN THAT CIRCUIT. We have noticed "trip" when the sprinkler goes to "zone 2" of the back yard...

View more questions Search