Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ShazaamIam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2010, 09:32 AM
    How can I get ride of the dead skunk odor under my house
    I live in a pier and beam house. About 2 months ago, a skunk crawled under the house and died. Unfortunately, he chose a very small area where we cannot reach by crawling under the house, so there's no way we can reach him. We have checked all of the ventilation areas and they are intact. However, several months ago, our plumber ran a pipe from under the house to the outside and we believe he may have gotten in through that hole (about 3"). We are positive he is dead (we blocked the hole) and the smell is strong from there. Is there anything we can spray through that hole to counteract the smell? The Feed Store suggested lime, but I'm hesitant to use, as the ac/heat vents are there and I don't want to be breathing in lime. I have purchased some enzyme neutralizer and it works fine inside the house, but must be sprayed daily. With the previous cold weather, there were days he didn't smell, but it's warming up and now the smell is back. I would appreciate any suggestions. If I spray something, it will have to be something I can put in a pump sprayer, as I need it to spray several feet under the house. Thanks!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 11:52 AM

The main cause for concern I see is the length of time this has been going on. Even a five pound (2 kilo) skunk should have decomposed past the odorous stage in 2 months. Your first step should be to make certain there isn't a moisture problem (which prolongs odors of decomposition) with a long probe along the pipe or calling the plumber back.

If you need an odor neutralizer, the enzyme products seem to do the best job. A long extension for the spray wand can be picked up at the feed store to get the spray back where it needs to be.
    ShazaamIam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2010, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the reply. We've had some really cold weather & I think that has kept the skunk from decomposing as it should have. The pipe is a gas line which was installed and inspected. Not smelling any gas. We will check the moisture situation. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What would cause a skunk smell in the house [ 3 Answers ]

When entering the house we smell a skunk odor. It is not too strong but there none the less. We think it is coming from the basement. We have an open sump pump but we are not able to find the cause of the odor. Please help.

Mysterious "skunk" smell in the house [ 16 Answers ]

We live in a split level house. We have a mysterious smell, like a skunk that comes and goes and not always in the same room. Sometimes it is in the hallway, other times near one of our fireplaces, sometimes in the stairwell, and these areas are separated by as much as 50 ft. Most of the time we...

Who sings that song ride sally ride [ 3 Answers ]

It's a old song . And I don't even know the name but the chores is ride sally ride

Skunk Odor / Fallen Drain Pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I am at wits end, and need any advice that can be offered. We recently purchased a pier and beam home, and found main 4" drain line was fallen on ground (who knows how long it had been on ground). I have repaired problem, but I believe prior drainage on ground has caused a musky odor that smells a...

View more questions Search