Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swimcatt Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 04:46 PM
    Red and Giant PANDAS
    What are some things that Red Pandas and Giant Pandas have in common?:confused:
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Nov 29, 2006, 07:42 PM
    The Giant and red Panda are only distantly related. After DNA testing the Giant Panda was placed under the family of Uridae, which is the bear family. The Red Panda wasn't.
    Its ancestral lineage shared with the raccoon.

Similarities

They are both classified as carnivores but subsist primarily on plants but will eat meat occasionally in the wild and regularly in captivity. Both have similar teeth, skulls,vscent- gland, genitalia [both have male genitalia pointed to rear]. Both are native to Asia. Both have a specialized bone on their paws to facilitate food manipulation. Both share bear and raccoon characteristics. Unlike bears, both give out a high-pitched chirp (yip) as part of their vocalization. Both are difficult to breed in captivity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Panda

Both share susceptibility to the following diseases.

Excerpt

PATHOLOGY AND DISEASES
    (Giant Panda and Red Panda Conservation Workshop, 1991)

Stomach and intestine of wild-caught pandas infested with roundworms (Ascaris schroederi)

Hemorrhagic enteritis in captive pandas (possible parvoviruses and corona viruses)
    Central nervous system disease in captive pandas (possible canine distemper and Aujesky's disease)

http://library.sandiegozoo.org/Fact%...iant/panda.htm
    Johnnaluv36 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2011, 08:19 PM
    What are some similarities and differences of red pandas and giant pandas?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why were dinosaurs and giant sloths so large? [ 9 Answers ]

:confused: This one has driven me mad for years and this recent discovery hasn't helped 'Scientists found evidence in Scotland of a water scorpion that was 5.2 feet long and about 3.2 feet wide. The monster lived about 350 million years ago.' My questions are simple - why were animals in...

Red, Red, Forever? [ 1 Answers ]

I have colored my hair red for a few years now (all shades). Right now it is deep mahogany red. I would like to go dark blonde or light brown. I have tried some ash colors and the roots would have course change, but from the middle down (very red). Should I strip this? The very ends of my hair...

The Red and Giant Panda [ 1 Answers ]

How are the Giant Panda and the Red Panda related?

In the RED! [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are in our Early 40's with 3 children, we had a few set backs with my husband being injured twice. We had to give up our medical insurance due to the high prices, we have 9,000.00 in hospital bills, along with credit card debt in the 24,000.00 range. We live in Michigan, would my...

View more questions Search