Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 04:51 PM
    Colon Cancer
    If anyone has experienced colon cancer, or knows someone that did, I have a few questions.

1. What is the survival rate of patients with colon cancer?
    2. What surgeries (if any) are possible with colon cancer?
    3. If you go into remission can you lead a normal life after colon cancer?

Any info at all would be helpful.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 04:57 PM
    I would love to help you Alty, but this one is out of my league.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 04:58 PM

My father had a tumor in his urinary bladder. He had to have it removed, the bladder too. He lived with the "bag" for years, and was part of a group of cancer survivors. There were more colon cancer survivors than anything else. It is not a death sentence by any means. They have come a long way with surgeries, and "attachments". You would be surprised how common colon cancer is. Millions of people have been diagnosed with it.

I know this is not much help, but it's my two cents.

And my father died of a heart attack 10 years after beating cancer.
    Pets Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    My father had a tumor in his urinary bladder. He had to have it removed, the bladder too. He lived with the "bag" for years, and was part of a group of cancer survivors. There were more colon cancer survivors than anything else. It is not a death sentence by any means. They have come a long way with surgeries, and "attachments". You would be surprised how common colon cancer is. Millions of people have been diagnosed with it.

I know this is not much help, but it's my two cents.

And my father died of a heart attack 10 years after beating cancer.
    Thanks JM. That makes me feel better.

I don't know if I could live with any "attachment" though. I have kids, I want to see them grow up, but I also want to be a big part of them growing up.

Yes, I'm asking for myself. No, it's not a positive diagnosis yet, but it's a very big possibility. I'll be going for an endoscopy sometime this week and I'm crossing my fingers and toes that it's just anemia and nothing more.
    Pets Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I would love to help you Alty, but this one is out of my league.
    I'd rather be having a baby then going through this. ;)
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Thanks JM. That makes me feel better.

I don't know if I could live with any "attachment" though. I have kids, I want to see them grow up, but I also want to be a big part of them growing up.

Yes, I'm asking for myself. No, it's not a positive diagnosis yet, but it's a very big possibility. I'll be going for an endoscopy sometime this week and I'm crossing my fingers and toes that it's just anemia and nothing more.
    I know that you are scared. I am praying that everything will work out for you.

May God give you strength and peace.
    Pets Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    I know that you are scared. I am praying that everything will work out for you.

May God give you strength and peace.
    Well don't make me cry! ;)

Thank you JM. I am praying too. I'm terrified, not of death, but of dying before my kids are grown. They need me. I need them. I have to be here until they're adults, there's no other option.

I'm hoping that my doctor's assumptions are wrong and that the tests will come back negative.

I am severely anemic, but that's not something I'm very worried about. It's the cause of the anemia, possible colon cancer (because of many other symptoms) that scares the crap out of me.
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 05:19 PM
    Well don't make me cry! ;)

Thank you JM. I am praying too. I'm terrified, not of death, but of dying before my kids are grown. They need me. I need them. I have to be here until they're adults, there's no other option.

I'm hoping that my doctor's assumptions are wrong and that the tests will come back negative.

I am severely anemic, but that's not something I'm very worried about. It's the cause of the anemia, possible colon cancer (because of many other symptoms) that scares the crap out of me.
    We always assume the worst, and it usually doesn't turn out that way. Even if it is colon cancer, there are so many options. You just be strong.

The prayer here alone will get you through anything. You'll be holding your grandbabies, thinking of this worry, and what a waste of time it was.

God bless you.
    Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 05:29 PM
    Oh, Alty, I've been in the panic mode you are in right now. I know just how utterly frightening it is. Rae was only 3 when I went through it.

What are the other symptoms hun?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 05:37 PM
    It's in our family. My uncle died from it and several of us have had polyps removed successfully. Many of us are on a higher rotation for colonoscopies due to family history and polyp removal. I hope that it's just a matter of tissue removal in your case. Keep us posted.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 05:39 PM

Hello Alty,

Am sad to hear that and we all will pray for you, you are a great member of this site, wish you all the best and god be with you, Thanks.

John
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2010, 05:45 PM

Hi Alty,
    Colon Cancer is one of the more curable cancers, especially if caught early. My mom didn't and she died from it, but that was over 20 years ago.
    Pets Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 06:05 PM
    Oh, Alty, I've been in the panic mode you are in right now. I know just how utterly frightening it is. Rae was only 3 when I went through it.

What are the other symptoms hun?
    Rectal bleeding which I've had for a long time but it's gotten worse in the last few month. TMI? Sorry everyone.
    Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 06:08 PM
    Rectal bleeding which I've had for a long time but it's gotten worse in the last few month. TMI? Sorry everyone.
    Dark or bright red? Family history?
    Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 06:10 PM
    Altenweg agrees: I'm terrified right now but I'm trying not to burn any bridges.
    Sweetheart, you know where to find me if you need me. I'll be here for you no matter what. You know that.
    Pets Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 06:14 PM
    Dark or bright red? Family history?
    Bright red and plenty of it. I swear sometimes it looks like someone was murdered after I use the facilities.

There is family history of cancer, my great grandmother had and died from colon cancer, but no one else had that particular type of cancer.

I have suffered from anemia before but not to this extreme. The doctor also tested for diabetes but the nurse that called couldn't tell me those results over the phone. She only said that I'm severely anemic and the Doctor wanted to see me yesterday, in other words, come asap. She also said he'd be sending me for an endoscopy (am I spelling that right) to rule out colon cancer and that there are other test results he wants to discuss with me and other tests he wants done.

I am kicking myself right now for letting this go on as long as I did. It all started when I miscarried and it's gotten worse and worse over the years. I just hope it's something small, take a pill every day and feel better sort of thing.

I'm really scared right now.
    Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 06:18 PM
    Oh, honey, I am so sorry you are going through this. To be brutally honest, yes you should have had this checked out years ago. But hindsight is 20/20, you can't go back and change that now.

Yes, you spelled endoscopy right. I wish I could tell you more, but all I can do is support you and virtually hold your hand through all of this. If you email me your address (you already have my email address), I will send you an angel to wear on your shoulder through all of this. My angel got me through my cancer. I now collect them.
    Pets Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 06:19 PM
    Sweetheart, you know where to find me if you need me. I'll be here for you no matter what. You know that.
    Now I'm crying.

I do know that. You all have been such a support for me since I joined. You can't know how much you all mean to me. I don't know what I'd do without you, I never want to find out.

Right now I just want to be healthy. I've never been this worried in my life. Both my parents died of cancer. The C word is terrifying to me, no matter how curable everyone says it is, it's cancer. My dad had a cancer that had it been caught early would have been very treatable. He died 12 days after being diagnosed.

My mother started with breast cancer, went into remission. On her five year mark, when she should have been free and clear, she found out that the monster was back and it had spread rapidly.

I ignored my symptoms, I just hoped that everything was okay. What if I left it too long? What if my fear of hearing that it's cancer seals my fate?

This is driving me crazy. I just want to know and I want to deal with whatever it is.

I can tell you one thing, if it is cancer, I will fight with everything I have inside me. Sadly I don't have a lot right now. I'm so tired all the time, I'm in pain all the time, I have nothing left in me.

I know I'll probably die of cancer one day, just don't let it be any day soon.

I want to see my kids grow up. That's all I ask.
    Pets Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 06:23 PM
    Oh, honey, I am so sorry you are going through this. To be brutally honest, yes you should have had this checked out years ago. But hindsight is 20/20, you can't go back and change that now.

Yes, you spelled endoscopy right. I wish I could tell you more, but all I can do is support you and virtually hold your hand through all of this. If you email me your address (you already have my email address), I will send you an angel to wear on your shoulder through all of this. My angel got me through my cancer. I now collect them.
    Stop making me cry! ;)

Thank you so much J. Your virtual support means so much to me. I really hope this will all turn out to be something fixable, easily fixable. I collect angels too.

I have a little alcove in my house with my parents ashes (yes, my parents ashes are in an urn, in my house). When my mom found out she was sick I bought her an angel. Whenever she was in hospital she took it with her. She said it got her through. When my dad was diagnosed I bought him an angel too, I brought it to the hospital when he was in coma. It sat on the table next to his bed until the day he died, now it's in the alcove.

I'm hoping that my two guardian angels are watching out for me right now. They better get to work, I need some help right now. Mom, Dad, are you hearing this? If you have the ear of the big guy, talk to him! :)
    Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 06:28 PM
    Sweetie, we are all full of "what if's" There is nothing that can be done now aside from finding out the answer to the question and going from there. There have been so many advances since you lost your father, since I had my cancer.

I know you are tired, I know you are worried... DAMN the distance! I would give anything to get in my car and come to be with you through this.

I always had a fear of cancer. I got cancer. It made me a stronger person. No matter the outcome, you will get through this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Colon cancer has move [ 3 Answers ]

Hello my name is michael mcclendon I have had colon cancer sugery twice and now it has enter my liver is there any help you can provide.I live in memphis tenn please help me Iam in need.somebody answer me please.thanks

Colon Tumor/Cancer [ 14 Answers ]

My grandfather was diagnsoed with Colon tumor, he is not good at english so he didn't understand the doctor very well, so I have a few questions, to give him some more information about his problem. Is a Colon Tumor and Cancer the same? Is Colon tumors harmful/ and or lead to death? ...

I think I have colon cancer [ 8 Answers ]

OK I made a post on here a couple of days ago and here are my symptoms: my stomach has become very large and hard... I look 7 or 8 months pregnant by the way I'm not! I have had rectal bleeeeding it off and on... whenever I have mexican food I have to potty like bad and when I can't go anymore I...

Colon detox [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best and safe way to detox your colon and intestines. I have IBS with constipation and I heard that detoxing your insides will help you to get back on track. Ive tried eating fruits and vegis and I've taken Metamucil, Fiber One, Citricell etc.. Nothing seems to work. So I figured I'd...

Is it my colon? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 19 and for as long as I can remember I have been getting sharp, almost stabbing, pains through out my abdomen, groin, and my entire left side. Sometimes its not bad, but at times it is so bad it brings me to tears. There doesn't seem to be anything in particular to why the pain comes...

View more questions Search