Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    urbanforest1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2010, 03:23 PM
    I issued a check to a vendor in error can I collect money
    I am a contractor in California, in the beginning of December my A/P clerk handed me a stack of checks, I signed them all and they were mailed. Yesterday, my CPA while doing taxes asked about a vendor I haven't used in 2 months, they are a small 2 man corporation. I called the bank and found that the check was deposited. What can I do to get my money back?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 03:31 PM

While being a good business man, one has to puruse all cheques that he signs. You learn that the hard way, don't be too hasty and question EVERYTHING.

Trace the transaction back and see what this vendor did or didn't do. Could be someone in your office (?? ) compromised your vendor list somehow. Don't know the facts, just commenting and suggesting.

You will probably have to get your money back by visiting them if there was no work done to warrant that payment.

Edit: if there is a better legal answer to the OPs question, then this is my own opinion after owning a couple of small businesses and sometimes being in the same position.

On the other hand, they could be guilty of the same hasty decision.

Again, check back, and if you can't get it back personally, I guess depending on the amount,you will have to get all your ducks in a row, either sue or small claims court.

Edit: if there is a better legal answer to the OPs question, then this is my own opinion after owning a couple of small businesses and sometimes being in the same position.

Tick
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 04:32 PM

Have you asked the vendor to refund the check?

If they don't pay, next time you purchase something from that vendor explain that you have a credit with them which should be applicable toward that purchase.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 04:35 PM

Hello:

Like AK, I'd ask them first, and if they didn't give it to me, I'd sue 'em.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 05:16 PM

If you "over paid" or paid in mistake you first ask them for the return of the money, if not you sue them for the return of your "overpayment"

Mar 9, 2010, 06:03 PM
    Sounds as if I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. $10k was written. Any ideas

Mar 9, 2010, 06:07 PM

So in a nutshell, read first before signing, I made the initial mistake. Also, should have been more on top of A/R and A/P I may have caught this oversight early on, and last small claims court is the only repurcusion, should I file a police report? Or just get a few friends drunk and see the vendor on their level.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanforest1 View Post
    ... should I file a police report?...
    Huh? Why, do you suspect that someone committed some sort of a crime?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2010, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanforest1 View Post
    So in a nutshell, read first before signing, should I file a police report? Or just get a few friends drunk and see the vendor on their level.
    Hello again, u:

They committed no crime against you so the cops ain't going to help. Apparently, you already asked, and they refused. No, hiring a hit squad ain't going to go well for you.

For a stack of checks, none being for more than $200, you don't need to read 'em. But, for a stack of realllllllly big checks, I'd read every one.

Even though the check was for $10K, I'd sue in small claims court where the limit is probably $5K. If you hired an attorney, he'd charge you $5K, and it'll take years...

excon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post

For a stack of checks, none being for more than $200, you don't need to read 'em. But, for a stack of realllllllly big checks, I'd read every one.

excon
    Hi, ex, I have to disagree here because... stack of checks for no more then $200, and signing one at a time because someone is in a hurry doesn't exactly cut it, and the stack of cheques adds up to say.. a lot and you have employee scamming you well, not exactly smart. That can happen. Happened to a close friend. I know this scenario is different, but I would look at every one, and every attachment to the cheque before signing.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I collect on a money judgement [ 10 Answers ]

I have a judgement against my ex-husband for $1500.00. How do I collect this money. How do I garnish his wages/and or bank account?

My vendor went out of business. Now their vendor is trying to collect [ 2 Answers ]

First time asker. My vendor was a freight broker and went out of business. The trucking company that my vendor hired is now trying to collect payment from me. I have no problem paying the trucking company but I am concerned that my vendor may try to collect. The bill is 120+ days outstanding and...

Can 1099 be issued on h4? Can referral money be paid on h4? [ 1 Answers ]

Can 1099 be issued on h4? Can referral money be paid on h4

View more questions Search