Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thinkpad30 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2010, 06:37 AM
    I have a 3-wire 240 VAC power box, and would like to install a 120 VAC outlet from it
    Do I just take power from one leg and ground? If so, how do I ground the outlet?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 06:47 AM

No, you reidentify 1 hot as a neutral, place on neutral bar, and ground is ground, place remaining hot on breaker, may have to use a short #12 pigtail to get wire into Breaker, and also pigtail #12's at receptacle to get around screws.

Mar 9, 2010, 08:31 AM
    Maybe I didn't clarify myself. Coming from the meter are 3 big wires going into a 200 amp box. 1 wire goes to a ground bar, which is grounded to the breaker box. The other 2 wires go into breakers. They have 120 vac on them as measured from the ground bar, or 240 vac measured from each other. This is a sub box and only has 2 20 amp breakers in it. The large wires continue on into the house for the main breaker box. I want to take 120 vac from this sub box. Can't I just pigtail off one breaker and the ground bar for a 120 vac circuit (to be used for light duty outside lights)?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 09:03 AM
    The "ground bar" you refer to should be the Neutral bar. This should already have the two white neutrals and green or bare equipment grounds connected for the two 20 amp breakers/circuits in that panel.

If this is the case, then you can install the new circuit exactly as the two existing.

Mar 9, 2010, 09:22 AM

Thank you both very much for such prompt and caring attention to my question!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sweeper broom/stick vac or canister vac? [ 3 Answers ]

Which do you think would be best for hardwoood floors, sweeper broom, stick vac, or canister vac? Or just a plain old broom... I hate how the dust swirls in the air from a broom. Thanks

I plug in a new microwave 120 vac, turn it on high it trip the breaker, why [ 1 Answers ]

I plug a new microwave, turn it on high power, it ran for a few minute that it trip, the breaker, what cause it to trip.

Lower Current Use, 240 VAC Appliances [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing an appliance repair course and they made a point in the material that appliances that use 240 volts, lower the overall amount of current they draw from the service lines. I do not get the concept why this would be so, will you explain How? 06smith

240 vac 60 amp circuits [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing 2 240volt 60 amp circuits for tankless water heaters. Do these neet to be run in a conduit? I am using #6 THHN which should be ableto handle 75 amps in this application.

46 VAC pre-wire for ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into a new home that the builder said was pre-wired for ceiling fans. I bought the first fan and light combination, but when I popped the ceiling junction box cover off and measured AC voltage between red and white or red and copper with the switch on, I only found 46 VAC. I measured...

View more questions Search