Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gs1211 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2010, 02:36 AM
    Why is my new washer keeps tripping new GFCI?
    I purchased a my washer and dryer. Plugged in both. Dryer works great, washer will trip its gcfi after a few seconds of being started. Both outlets are gfci protected, both are wired with 12 gauge wire into a 20 amp breaker. Plug the washer into a separate non-gfci outlet and washer works fine. Can the gfci be weak, bad or should I run a separate circuit for the washer?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 03:51 AM
    Could be a defective GFI, or could be just a fault in the machine. A washer does not need GFI protection. I assume the dryer is gas?
    denman Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2010, 04:45 PM

Remove the GFCI, not necessary. The motor surge at start up will sometimes trip GFCI.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by denman View Post
    Remove the GFCI, not necessary.
    Are you sure about this? What if it is within 6' of a laundry sink?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2010, 10:04 PM
    Doesn't that 6' rule apply to countertop outlets?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 04:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    Doesn't that 6' rule apply to countertop outlets?
    Not for a long time in kitchens, and in laundry areas there is no counter top reference. Just 6', period.

That's why denman's advice is kind of dangerous.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2010, 06:26 AM
    Stan is correct.

While a washer does not need GFI normally, it must have GFI protection if it happens to be within six foot of any sink.

Some input from gs1211 would be great.
    denman Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Mar 12, 2010, 06:46 AM

Sorry about answering without clarifiying washer basin location. You know what they say about assuming.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New GFCI Keeps tripping [ 9 Answers ]

I have just installed a new Siemens single pole 20A GCFC to wire my basement workshop. The receptacles are wired correctly and checked with a special tester. I run my bench grinder and it does not trip.. I plug in my radio (it's OFF) and the GCFI trips, I hook up a light and it trips... I hook...

GFCI Outlet Keeps Tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I have a GFCI outlet that keeps trippping. We've been in this house for years and have never had this problem. We don't have any additional appliances/lighting etc. running on this circuit or anywhere in the house for that matter. It keeps tripping after reset; sometimes immediately sometimes...

GFCI is tripping [ 5 Answers ]

I had to replace a non-working GFCI receptacle that had given us problems for 3 years or so. I replaced it today, but when the power is turned on the receptacle trips, even with nothing plugged in to it directly. Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it? It is an outside receptacle.

GFCI delayed tripping [ 4 Answers ]

Installed new GFCI receptacle in bathroom. Tested allciecuits on line with GFCI tester and all indicate OK. After exactly 3 minutes the GFCI trips. This was repeated several times. Replaced the GFCI receptacle with a new one and same results.:confused:

View more questions Search