Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ineedyourhelp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 01:30 PM
    What binds a lease?
    Hi there,
    To make a long story short... I am in Massachusetts. I have a condo for rent. Found a tenant. She wanted to move in ASAP, I tried to accommodate her so I rushed into signing the lease and getting it to her (through a third party). Right as the third party handed her the lease (I was not present) I realized I didn't have keys to give her and so I called her and told her that she would have to wait as I didn't have the keys. She took the lease (already signed by me- STUPID, I know) and left. She never left any money, never got keys... Is her lease valid (assuming that she did in fact sign it)? Or did she need to pay me to bind the lease?
    Thanks guys!
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Nov 29, 2006, 01:36 PM
    Signatures by both the landlord and tenant are what make the lease binding. If you still haven't received a signed lease from her, send her a letter by either certified mail or hand delivery, telling her that she has 3 days to deliver a fully-signed lease to you. Then say that if she doesn't return the fully-signed lease in that time then you will consider the lease null and void and you will lease the condo to someone else.
    Ineedyourhelp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 02:50 PM
    Thanks so much Lisa. That is what I figured the answer would be, but was hoping money changing hands would be necessary to seal the deal, since this woman has turned out to be a nut. I'll try your advice though. Thanks :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

I was going to extend my lease... [ 4 Answers ]

I have lived in the same complex for 3 years. My lease was up in August. I was going to renew my lease for another 12 months. But I never got the lease from my complex (every other year they leave in my door) so I never signed it. I have been paying the price as if I have a 12 year lease so it was...

Breaking a lease! [ 2 Answers ]

Please help, I'm desperate. I recently moved into a lower duplex in Wisconsin. The upstairs tenant has been sabotaging the living arrangements. First her cat urinated on many of my belongings in the basement. Then he lays on our patio table- where we eat. Then he waits at our front door and my son...

Getting out of my Lease in Wisconsin [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about getting out of my lease. I live in Wisconsin and recently sign a lease for a year. I am having problems with my landlords, They have been saying things and then backing out on them. I made the mistake by not getting anything in writing, but I am tired of dealing with them. I...

View more questions Search