Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    squeezplay Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 11:14 PM
    Help convincing elder grandfather
    My grandfather and I are indifferent. I am under the impression that you can legally own a vehicle and not have to place insurance on it as long as its not being driver and stays on your own property for example, I am picking a car up in Texas. Transporting back to New York. I don't need insurance. I also am trying to convince him I don't need insurance if the car is siting in my garage and not moving. Fire and theft are options but not mandatory.

Basically can anyone show me or send me to a link that proves you do not need car insurance on a car that is not on the road.

Also if anyone can show me a source that proves when you sign a title over to a purchaser you are not liable for anything that happens to that person or car?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 12:17 AM
    Not an expert in this area... which means more knowledgeable members here will correct me if I'm wrong, so wait for the yea's or nay's...

You are not legally obligated to insure a vehicle that is off the road. Now... its common to need proof of insurance to register a car... but if I decided to leave the country for a couple of months, I can call up my provider and ask for a suspension of insurance.

In fact, I did this just last summer for a vehicle that had only liability.

*oops, see below*
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 12:36 AM
    The below links tend to say "check with your states dmv" since not all have the same laws

Can I keep an uninsured and unregistered car in my parki?
    https://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content15399.aspx
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Mar 9, 2010, 01:06 AM

It all depends on the state.

In Ohio, for instance, you legally have to insure a car no matter what. It doesn't matter if it's up on blocks and you're using the trunk as a planter. The law says you have to have up-to-date tags and insurance.

You'll need to check the laws in your state. Calling the dmv will give you answers the most quick, and you can be sure they're correct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've got a lot of convincing to do! - rabbit [ 59 Answers ]

Well as most of you know I am 16 and still live with my parents. Anyway I've recently wanted a new addition to my family, a rabbit. When I was younger we had a few rabbits but I was to young to take on the responsibility of them and therefore never really got to enjoy them. My parents are...

Sis needs convincing to go to see dr [ 4 Answers ]

I am asking this for my sister. She is 40 years old. She does have seizures that are under control. No meds , but has had some stomach/abdominal problems. She had bunch of gallstones 10 year ago. Gallbladder was removed. Has been told she had fibrocystic cystics. Has been told she has to see a...

Convincing Puppy [ 3 Answers ]

I have just found the perfect dog for my family but my dad doesn't come that easy, I really think we have found our perfecto dog, how can I convince my dad?

View more questions Search