Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    $ammy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 11:08 PM
    What is it like to be homeschooled
    I might be doing homeshcooling but I don't know if it is good or not can you still do normal things?
    Dysenchanted Posts: 72, Reputation: 34

Aug 27, 2010, 06:43 PM

For me homeschooling was a great experience. It allows a person to grow into themselves and not a carbon copy of their peers. There's less contact with the violence, drugs, alcohol, promiscuity etc. that comes from public school.

I felt I had freedom to explore the things that interested me. If done correctly you can do things, and learn about the subjects that are more compelling to you AND still be able to get into college with no problem.

The one thing I'd caution you about though, is that unless you get at least some exposure to people your own age (whether it's through a job, a small group of friends, other homeschoolers, sports and so on) you'll become socially handicapped.

Unfortunately, my parents weren't able to let me interact very much with other teens from 15-17 (due to certain circumstances) and when I entered college at 17 I was SO lost. I didn't know how to function or relate with people my own age.

That doesn't have to be you though, there's PLENTY of ways to get involved in the community. I spent 7 years volunteering at Heifer International and helping other people is so rewarding. Just something to consider :)

Another option could be to homeschool with most of your courses but take one or two classes at a community college. Just to keep you tied into the education system should you ever move on to college. I don't even know if you're old enough to start thinking along those lines, I have no idea how old you are!

So, I hope that helped. All in all, I'm a huge advocate for homeschooling. Parents were the first teachers and I think they do the best job. They know their students/child better than anyone!
    mummydaze Posts: 20, Reputation: -2

Sep 2, 2010, 08:03 PM

I was homeschooled for most of my life, and I'm telling you, that if you can become a GOOD homeschool teacher, it'll be one of the most important and meaningful things you will ever do for your children. I went to public school and a private school as well for a couple years and finally started public school in 10th grade, and honestly, I regret deciding to go to punlic high school instead of staying at home. I learned twice as much if not more at home, because instead of a teacher having to cram in as much as possible, which is almost impossible with some classes, I was able to focus on a lot more at home. I learned grammar much better than anyone I know, spelling, etc. I was also able to memorize bible verses and my mom had a range of extracurriculars we could do. We did art, had a co op with other homeschooled kids where we did projects and learned together to build social skills. We were also signed up with swimming, tennis, gymnastics, etc.
    Many people say homeschoolers are sheltered and don experience that social network of things, but it's only if you let it be that way. I learned things early, and I was also raised correctly, but not sheltered because I definitely knew the world and what was in it, but I learned right from wrong very quickly. There are a number of sites you can go to for support from other homeschooling mothers, and you would be surprised how many mothers are homeschooling their children now because it's more time to spend with them plus it's educational! If you're a Christian, try School of Tomorrow ACE Paces, they are very fun and they teach a LOT. Abeka is pretty good too.
    mummydaze Posts: 20, Reputation: -2

Sep 2, 2010, 08:07 PM

Oh, and I have three children now, and plan on homeschooling all my kids. My eldest is my stepson, so I can only do so much with him, since his mother hates me because I'm with her BD (who by the way she never dated, she just slept with on a whim), but the good thing about homeschooling is you can start whenever you want as far as a year schedule, you can start earlier if you want... my sister graduated high school when she was 16 and graduated college with a major and minor at 20.

BUT!! KEY POINT: You HAVE to have patience as the teacher, just like being a mom, but this time focusing on something completely future orientated for their well-being. And, you're going to want the other parent to be supportive, because if he or she isn't, it's not going to be an easy road.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How would you teach your homeschooled child [ 8 Answers ]

Social studies? When I was in school we learned, in school about what was on/in the news. Is that what social studies is? Is it history, or cultural differences? I have no idea. We do not (nor will we ever) get cable, so never watch the news. So, what ways should I approach teaching...

View more questions Search