Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    contactlink Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 09:31 PM
    How to legalize power of Attorney
    Hi,

I am an Indian Citizen living in USA and would like to execute a general power of attorney (PoA) to my mother, residing in India to take care of my deeds in my absence. Do anyone know the procedure to execute PoA from USA to be legalized in India?

Any help is appreciated!

CL
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 01:52 PM

Normally you would draw up the papers there and they would send them here to have them signed. Everything has to be notorized and documented at every step.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    ... Everything has to be notorized and documented at every step.
    Does "... and documented" mean anything in particular? And what if anything do you mean by "every step"?

If it were the other way around (POA executed in India for use in US), one would want a US counsular official in India to certify that it was notarized there properly. Such a certification is called an apostille. India is a party to the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents, which provides that an apostille is sufficient to prove that a document is properly "notarized". Perhaps that's what you mean by "documented".
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 05:53 PM

Documented means keeping records of everything for that just in case moment. Also because the OP is not a citzen of the U.S. they may even make a photogragh at the signing of documents. That way all the proof is validated. So should something occur it can be proerly represented.

Ref:

http://www.apostilleinfo.com/india.htm
    contactlink Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2010, 03:31 PM

Thanks you guys!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power of Attorney [ 1 Answers ]

How much do power of attorneys cost?

Power of Attorney [ 3 Answers ]

Can Banks refuse a legal Power of Attorney from authorized party?

Power of attorney [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is illiterate can I become his power of attorney for a child adoption

Power of attorney [ 4 Answers ]

A friend, recently incarcerated in PA, was told by her mother that her grandmother left her a sizable inheritance (granny lived in NY). The mother now wants my friend to sign over power of attorney to her. While reading up trying to help my friend decide what to do (she is getting some negative...

Power of Attorney [ 2 Answers ]

My brother and I have been assigned power of attorney for both parents. I am afraid that my brother will go to the bank and put all of my parents assests in an account with his name only. Can he legally do this?

View more questions Search