Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Abbieali Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 04:31 PM
    Is it proper for a male to be friends with his brother's wife?
    I have been dating this guy for 7months and even from the very beginning this has bothered me. She phones my boyfriend some times to talk, and talks to him about personal matters. Like problems with her daughter(which is not his brothers child) from the first time I went to his brother's house for Thanksgiving she adjusted the buttons on his shirt. Which to me is an intimate gesture.And another time The both of them were rolling their eyes at the Husband/brother behind his back! I don't think that type of behavior is right.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Mar 8, 2010, 05:20 PM

Have you considered discussing this matter with your boyfriend?

If so, what did he say about his behavior?
    Abbieali Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2010, 08:50 AM

Yes I have brought it up twice. I told him I did not think it was appropriate for her to roll her eyes behind her husbands back and he was defensive on her part saying that I did not know how his brother was and what she has to put up being married to him. He has (un diagnosed) Obsesive cumpulsive disorder. It's not that I don't think they should be friends. I just think that there should be boundaries.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 06:49 PM

Sorry but you cannot set boundaries for someone else, nor should you interfere in what sounds like a family dynamic. You have voiced your opinion, but the decisions they make is really up to the individuals.

Is this a big deal, or a deal breaker for you? Families often have their own quirky way of interacting, and maybe they take some getting use too.
    Larken85 Posts: 696, Reputation: 146

Mar 10, 2010, 07:00 PM

Umm... I think that things that are close to physical touch such as the button thing are a little over the line. That is your job. However the other, I don't think its wrong. If the brother is not having problems with this then I don't think anything weird is really going on. And if that is how the relationship was when you walked in to the picture and he is not willing to change it then I suggest giving up on it. Or (if you really want to make a point) you can get close to his brother and see what happens. Though I do not suggest this approach since it could cause sever family problems that you won't want to deal with anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you trust your wife with male friends ? [ 3 Answers ]

She justity her own but I'am not allowed to have female friends

Is it OK for my wife to have male friends [ 47 Answers ]

Shaul I be OK with my wife of 10 years have male friends.when she has never had any before. :confused:

Is it OK for my wife to hide male friends [ 11 Answers ]

Me and my wife been together for about 10 yrs and maried only 3 yrs... recently I looked in her moble phone and saw a text message and a phone number... so my ego was killing me and I called the number to later find out that it was a male and not the female name she had it under.. my question would...

Wife's brother's wife [ 1 Answers ]

How am I related to my wife's brother's wife? Is she my sister-in-law or my brother-in-law's wife?

View more questions Search