Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gagirl48 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 11:34 AM
    Employer slander
    I am a full time college student, holding down two part-time jobs in the state of Georgia. One employer (owner of a small business) yelled at me and accused me of stealing and said she had it on video. She called the police and after the police came and reviewed the video tape. They told her, there was no evidence I stole anything and left. She then called my second employer (manager of a well known retail chain) and, once again, accused me of stealing. My second employer called the company's loss prevention and they interviewed me for over and hour. Now I'm afraid I could possibly lose my second job as well. I'm a very good student and I work hard. I do not want to lose my second job. This woman is making false accusations and I don't know what, or if, I can do anything about it. Isn't there a law that says she can't call my other employer and make accusations that would cause me to lose my job? Is there a way to file a grievance against her?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2010, 11:46 AM

Keep in mind... YOU will have to provide the burden of proof and its not going to be cheap to sue.

Also... if you are an "AT-WILL" employee... unfortunately they can let you go for no reason more than they didn't like your hair that day. There are some very rare and specific exceptions to that.

Easy way to understand this... put yourself into the shoes of the employer, now picture any number of people (not friends) you know working for you. Now you should understand the AT-WILL part of the case. There are two sides to any issue. And very few people are irreplaceable.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2010, 02:56 PM

Agree with Smoothy - if you have the time and money and there is nothing behind her accusations, the accusations cause you to lose your job, yes, I would sue her. Of course, you can only collect monetary damages and, if you have medical proof of emotional suffering, additional monies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What questions does past employer have to answer by new employer [ 1 Answers ]

If a new employer calls your old employer, what questions will they answer.My concern is that I have been unemployed now for 6 months,and am concerned that my prospects are frowning on the fact that I have been out of work so long. I may just be overreacting as this is the longest time I've been...

H1B transfer - whether current employer know about the new employer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts Currently I am on H1b visa with company A. I would like to transfer this to Company B. I heard that Company A will not know that it is transferring to Compnay B during the transfer. Is this correct? Also, after successful transfer to compnay B whether USCIS will send any...

Employer Slander in MD [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently working for an optical chain as an optometrist. In the first few months of working for the company I decided, this wasn't the best mode of practice for me and decided to leave; or so I thought. I have applied to several different optical chains. In one case, I interviewed and a job...

Can I sue a former employer for slander? [ 5 Answers ]

My former employer has been contacting current and former employees which were my co-workers and forcing them to remove their personal recommendations for me on linkedin. The empoyer is stating that by recommending me the employees are violating some company policy - which I never heard of. They...

View more questions Search