Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marta032009 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Mar 8, 2010, 10:53 AM
    Should inmates while in federal prison file an income tax return
    Should inmates while in federal prison file an income tax return?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2010, 12:37 PM

IRS does not gives any different treatment. If the income is more than the filing requirement, you must file the tax return.
    Marta032009 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2010, 10:38 AM

There is no income at this time, but the question arose because another person had stated that everyone should file a return as they will get money back. I am thinking that is wrong, if you don't have an income but thought I would check as I am not an expert.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 11:07 AM

If you do not have income you do not file. You must file only if your income is more than the filing requirement. Your U.S. Tax Return: 2009 Filing Requirements for Most Taxpayers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1120: State income tax deductible in federal tax return for corp. [ 2 Answers ]

In our C Corp. we use the Accrual method of accounting. Nevertheless, in our past Federal Inc. tax returns, my accountant (actually, ex-accountant) has been deducting the State Inc. Taxes PAID in the FY, instead of the accrued tax. I want to start deducting the accrued tax, starting this FY's...

Do I have to file a NJ Income Tax Return? [ 3 Answers ]

I was a NJ resident for all of 2008. My total 2008 income was: Less than $25,000 from Social Security Less than $1,000 from a 401K distribution (They filed a 1099-R) I have filed a federal tax return for reimbursement of taxes withheld.

Do I need to file a state income tax return? [ 1 Answers ]

If I & my spouse are classified as US residents, but live 10 months. Of the year in another country receiving pay from a state in the US, do we need to file a state income tax return, or only a federal income tax?

Who qualifies as a dependent for federal income tax return? [ 2 Answers ]

My parents are not US citizens or US residences. They lived with me for 6 months in 2007. Can I claim them as dependents?

I sold my house in 2006. How do I file my 2007 federal income tax. [ 2 Answers ]

I sold my house in 2006 in MA.. Moved out of state to NC and built a new house but didn't wright it off in 2006 because I was better off using the 1040 EZ said Jackson Hewitt tax service. Can I wright it off this year ? And how do I go about filing that on my 2007 federal income tax?

View more questions Search