Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Mar 8, 2010, 10:20 AM
    Money for time served?
    How/when do I get the money for the time I served in jail? I was told it was $80/day. Or does that only apply if you have fines? Or if you do not get convicted and have no fines, do you just get a check? What's the deal?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2010, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by passmeby View Post
    How/when do I get the money for the time I served in jail?? I was told it was $80/day. Or does that only apply if you have fines? Or if you do not get convicted and have no fines, do you just get a check?? What's the deal??
    I don't understand your question. Are you under the impression that you get paid to be incarcerated? How and why would that make any sense?

Mar 8, 2010, 11:33 AM

Well, when I was in jail, they said your time is worth $80/day. People serving time in jail are sometimes serving the time in lieu of paying actual cash money-obviously, if a person doesn't have the cash to pay the fines, they spend out the time in jail at a set rate. So... if you don't have fines or conviction, do you still get the $80/day for the time you served while you were awaiting trial or waiting to be bailed out?

Mar 8, 2010, 12:40 PM

Well, yeah, you do get paid for being in jail. Serving time pays off fines at a set rate per day (if a person cannot or does not pay their fines with cash, serving jail time pays off fines... so YES, you DO get paid to sit in jail). And I'm talking about (unconvicted, just accused)JAIL here, not prison-totally different! So if a person is sitting in jail awating trial or waiting to be bailed out, my question is, do those people get money credited to them just the same?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2010, 12:42 PM

Most jails actually have the pay to stay program and charge YOU around $50 per DAY for the privilege of staying in their fine four star "hotel".

Who gave you the misinformation about THEY pay YOU? Whoever it was was obviously pulling your leg.

Mar 8, 2010, 12:59 PM

Oh gosh, everyone said it, the people incarcerated and the officers. The person who was my cellie was paying off fines, so she was getting paid for each day. She had a set amount of days to serve out to cover the fine.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2010, 02:49 PM

You can't be serious. Oh, wait, maybe she can/is.

Your husband is in law enforcement. You are an advisor on gang activities for your local Police force. Ask either one of them.

Mar 8, 2010, 04:44 PM

Well look it up, it's Comanche County Oklahoma, I'm not wrong. I thought it was a common thing, but apparently it's not! Why else would people serve out time in jail if they didn't pay their fines? Obviously, it's because the money is deducted by the amount of time served. What's the penalty for not paying fines? JAIL. So obviously you DO get "paid" to be in jail... but apparently here it's different than in other places. I already did ask the police, they said the time is worth $80/day. They did not however, supply an answer on how to obtain the money if you end up unconvicted, they only said that it can be applied to fines but they didn't say that they didn't pay out if unconvicted though, so I don't know. I will just try to get ahold of my lawyer, but he is extremely hard to get ahold of, which is why I just asked here. Thought it was a simple common question! Guess not, apparently it differs according to region. But no, they absolutely DO NOT charge money per day. They PAY. It's Comanche County, City Jail, Oklahoma. My husband works in a prison, which is a world of difference from a jail!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2010, 07:13 PM

OMG he is serious, I have nothing to say, but if you can't pay a fine, or don't, they sentence you to a number of days in jail instead of the fine. They may have a dollar figure they use, but it is not paid to anyone, just used as a normal amount of fine forgiven for a number of days in jail. ** when you normally would not go to jail for the sentnece.

Again, I really hope this is not a seroius question
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 12:13 PM
    Hello again, pass:

They DO pay you. They give you free meals, free utilities, free rent. They even provide security. It's like living in a gated community.

excon

Mar 9, 2010, 02:29 PM

LOL, true! No TV though! And if I ever go in again, I'm asking for the Kosher meals!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2010, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by passmeby View Post
    Well, when I was in jail, they said your time is worth $80/day. People serving time in jail are sometimes serving the time in lieu of paying actual cash money-obviously, if a person doesn't have the cash to pay the fines, they spend out the time in jail at a set rate. So.....if you don't have fines or conviction, do you still get the $80/day for the time you served while you were awaiting trial or waiting to be bailed out??
    To answer your question - NO, you don't get "paid" to stay in jail if you are not "working" off fines. And if you were in jail and didn't have any fines to pay off the county is certainly NOT going to cut you a check for $80/day for the days you spent in their lovely hotel. You seem to have your hand out waiting for the money to fall into it with this scenerio. Not happening. Sorry. You don't see the money even if you had fines to pay. The "money" would be credited - not actually paid. Nice try. No cigar.
    coreycritchley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2011, 08:31 AM
    I was in jail for 45 days, awaiting other (traffic) tickets when I was discharged, a lot of the inmates with small and longer term stays told me about going to the law library and getting a $10 a day form which gives you $10 credit for each day you were incarcerated towards whatever fines and fees I had that needed to be paid when I was out of jail? Does anyone know where I can find those sheets or even if its true? Thank you
    figarrocigarro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2012, 01:00 AM
    "Hello again, pass:

They DO pay you. They give you free meals, free utilities, free rent. They even provide security. It's like living in a gated community.

excon"

Yep, A gated community your not allowed to leave, invite people in, lose all rights and freedoms and in many states enjoy the famous strip search, not to mention the net money loss for not going to work (usually followed by losing your job) on top of the real world bills you still need to pay when you get out(or lose, i.e. house, car, family etc etc), great great deal they got going at that resort
    PolkaDotPanda Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jun 7, 2012, 05:34 AM
    Do you realize how many people would WANT to go to jail if you really DID get paid $80 a day for the "privilege"? That's a completely ridiculous notion to expect to get money for doing your time (beyond having the time you serve credited toward any fines or fees). Very few WORKING (not jailed) people make $80 for a HONEST day's work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What time can a court summons be served [ 2 Answers ]

Someone keeps pounding on my door and I think they are trying to serve my for court for a credit card debt. The first day was Saturday around 2:00 pm, the person rang the door bell and then pounded the door three times and left. The second time was Monday at 8:30 pm at night, the person did the...

Time served [ 1 Answers ]

My son has been sitting in liberty county jail in hinesville,ga since June 19th 2009 waiting to be transferred to a PDC his sentence is for 4 to 6 months, will he get time served or not?

Papers served.time restrictions [ 1 Answers ]

I was sued by Capital One for a debt 4 years old. Are there any legal guidelines about the time of filing (Sept. 5, 2008) and the time I was served with the papers (Octobe 28, 2008)?

Time served in New jersey [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I go to court on Friday for a second vop. The charge that put me on probation was a disorderly persons. I was suppose to be on probation for one year and 6 months anger management. But after the firstvop they extended my probation until April of 09. I spoke to a lawyer and she said I have over...

Will husband just get time served or added time to probation [ 11 Answers ]

My husband's not being extradicted on probation violation. But will they add more time to his probation, or get time served or more jail time for new misdemeanor charges of canabis and pharapharnalia? So lost any info or some similar experience would be helpful thanks can't sleep until I know until...

View more questions Search