Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrtigger069 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 09:50 AM
    Louisiana laws of successions
    My Grandmother recently past away & in her will left me as the sole owner of the inheritance of her property. The problem I have is that since I was the only name on the will my relatives are really upset. The lawyer stated to me that since I was the only name on the will that I am the owner of the house however this is in transition of the name change & or local police dept will not enforce the tresspassing law for the upset relatives they keep tresspassing on the property. The local police dept stated to me that as long as the property is still under my grandmothers name that the house is consider open to all family members. Well you have to understand my family members have already enter the property & trash the house. My question is what grounds do I have to protect this property from my upset family members who are like vultures please help?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2010, 10:06 AM

Since you have the moral, and legal highground... being the will gives it all to you. I'd change the locks ASAP.

Sorry but I fail to understand how any of your relatives have any right to tresspass. The property is NOT in their names. At least you can provide papers that shows it is yours... or will be when the formalities are over.

My condolences... but I do see why your grandmother put it all in your name. I'm sure she did as well based on the actions you describe.

Take pictures of all the property inside the house and outside as well, BEFORE any more disappears. It will establish what was there during the transition.

And personally... I wouldn't give any of it to the gouls you describe even if it is your right to do so after it all clears. I'm sure they weren't all that nice to your grandma when she was still alive... so they aren't entitled to any of it she didn't will to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Louisiana Inheritance Laws [ 15 Answers ]

In the State of Louisiana, where community property is concerned, if both spouses had children before the marriage (due to previous relationships) and children together during the marriage, if one of the spouses dies and there is no will, who inherits the property?

Louisiana inheritance laws [ 2 Answers ]

My mother and father have 7 children. My father died leaving leaving a will giving my mother everything. My mother is still alive but has given the 180 acre family farm to my two brothers. I and my 4 sisters are upset and feel that is unfair, that she has for all practical purposes disinherited us....

Inheritance Laws in Louisiana [ 1 Answers ]

How do you determine inheritance taxes on property inLouisiana

Louisiana Inheritance Laws [ 2 Answers ]

A man and woman married, each have two children from previous marriage. All children are adults. Man dies. Two months later woman dies. Of the 4 children, on real estate, who gets what? Am I right: property is half husband's, half wife's. He dies, she gets half of property. She dies: her...

Louisiana Inheiritance laws [ 2 Answers ]

dad died in 2005. Mom was caught up in katrina hurricane-trying to get money from road home program-opened dad's estate there are 4 children over age 21 and have chosen to let mother have all so can rebuild-have one sister living far away, came in to sign papers and has refused because mom forgot...

View more questions Search