Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Janpag5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 08:18 AM
    Voodoo
    What its Voodoo? :confused:
    I have a SS project about world religion and the teacher gave me that theme. I'm 11 years and hardly know about other religions further the Roman Catholic :(
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2006, 08:41 AM
    Google search it, it will give you a vast idea ;)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2006, 11:45 AM
    Welcome, Jan. Here's a decent overview of Voodoo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Dec 6, 2006, 08:15 PM
    There are two ways of looking at voodoo. One is as a strictly social phenomenon which is based on man's need for security and control. The other is the Christian viewpoint that sees voodoo as a religion which employs evil forces and which all Christians should avoid. I strongly suggest you become familiar with both viewpoints in order to acquire a balanced perspective and in that way not be easy prey to those who might claim that this practice is just a game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christi..._on_witchcraft
    VBNomad Posts: 65, Reputation: 7

Dec 8, 2006, 08:53 PM
    Hmmm yes, always look to the christians for a balanced perspective on matters of other religions. They have such a great track record for open mindedness and objectivity.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Dec 8, 2006, 09:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by VBNomad
    Hmmm yes, always look to the christians for a balanced perspective on matters of other religions. They have such a great track record for open mindedness and objectivity.
    You confuse the track record of apostates with the track record of true Christians.
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2006, 03:12 PM
    Janpag5,

You are 11 years old. Voodoo is based in superstition. I may be over-reacting but I would question the teacher who gave my child a project on this topic. If possible ask for a different project.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 9, 2006, 03:20 PM
    I agree with you Rose about asking for another topic, if it were my daughter I would be asking the teacher for another topic. But not too far from where I live it is practiced on a rather wide scale. New Orleans Louisana, here in the US, remember (Hurricaine Katrina?) Has, or had, a rather large voodoo population. With this info taken into consideration, depending on where she lives, it may be that they are learning the particular culture in her area in her social studies class.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2006, 03:52 PM
    J_9,

You could be right. I never thought of that. In the UK a lot of people look on this sort of thing with suspicion. I'm not very worldly, I bow down to your experience.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 9, 2006, 03:56 PM
    Oh, here in the states we look at this with suspicion also. But with the influx of Katrina victims, we have also had an influx of people who do believe in voodoo. Personally, I don't (I hope I don't get a curse on me for saying that). But it is popular in certain regions, Haiti for one, New Orleans for another.

I am not worldly either, but I have had to learn a few things in the last year or so.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 9, 2006, 04:28 PM
    Voodooo is as legitimate a religion as any other with its roots in Africa. It is possible when studying such a fascinating one to see diversity that not only resembles aspects of the Roman Catholic faith but Native American similarities as well.

Another great source of balanced information besides Wikipeida on any religion, including voodoo, and a personal favorite of mine is:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/voodoo.htm
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Morganite,

"Why pretend that Voodoo does not exist? No one is pressing anyone into becoming an Oobiyah man. It is education and education cannot hurt you. Ignorance is what really hurts a body."

I never said it dosen't exist. I said it was based in superstition.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 14, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganite
    You know how it works: a Christian speaks and an atheist squashes; a Voodoan speaks, and up pops a Christian to slam it!
    If it were only that simple. LOL

The only thing you'll ever find me squashing (or at least crowding to the very best of my ability) is when that pesky, arrogant, terribly misguided Voodooan starts a-rambling on about how mistaken we all are about spiritual matters and attempts to cast a spell of "convert or die" on us! :rolleyes:
    nikki_22 Posts: 63, Reputation: 10

Sep 15, 2007, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Janpag5
    What its Voodoo? :confused:
    I have a SS project about world religion and the teacher gave me that theme. I'm 11 years and hardly know about other religions further the Roman Catholic :(
    The actual of the religion is Vodun, not voodoo. It comes from Haiti. It is a blend of Roman Catholicism and african tribal religions. Many people from Haiti brought vodun to America. It is still practiced in the southern US. Vodun believes that there is a universal God. There are also many smaller gods. It's kind of like Jesus and the angels in Christianity. Everyone has a 'ti bon angel' and a 'gros bon angel' The first translates from Creole to mean "little angel" and the second "big angel" They mean that every one has a "big " spirit (the human soul) and a little spirit ( personality, likes, dislikes, etc.)
    There are both male and female high priests. Vodun uses poppets ( likenesses of people, animals etc.) for use in spells. They believe whatever you do to the poppet will happen in real life. Look up Vodun online especially on wikipedia. Hope that helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search