Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1989katrina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 05:56 PM
    Does a father have any rights to a child if he is not on the birth certificate?
    I am not in a relationship with my child's father and never have been, but we have contact and he sees her from time to time, does he have any parental rights to her if he has not signed the birth certificate?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2010, 06:21 PM

He does, he just has to go to court to enforce them. The judge could order a paternity test first. He has both parental rights and responsibilities. Have you asked for child support yet?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 7, 2010, 06:57 PM

Merely not being on the birth certificate does not take away his rights, only requires him to prove paternity to get them.

He may at anytime file for joint custody, visititation, and other rights as he desires. It will be up to the court to decide what level he will get.

You of course should have filed for child support once the child was born.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am not the biological father but my name is on birth certificate what rights do I h [ 11 Answers ]

I have an 11 month old daughter who at the time of birth thought and believed to be mine. Just recently I found out that she is not mine bilogicaly and my name is on the birth certificate. And now the biological father may want to step in, what rights do I have?

Does a father have rights if he is not on the birth certificate [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was just wondering if the man that could be the father of my child whose name is not listed on the birth certificate have rights to him. He has tried kid napping him already once, so I was wondering if he hd the right to take him if he's not listed on the certificate?

Does a Father have a right to last name on Child Birth Certificate [ 3 Answers ]

Does a father have a right to have his last name as his child's last name on the child's Birth Certificate in the State of Georgia?

Rights of a father not listed on birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Louisiana and am pregnant with my first child. The father of the baby has expressed no interest in the baby and will not be listed on the birth certificate. What rights, if any will he have even if he isn't listed on the birth certificate?

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search