Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

Mar 7, 2010, 12:16 PM
    Upgrading to a Smartphone-capability questions!
    I have verizon wireless, and am looking to upgrade to a smart phone. I want to be able to use Facebook and play the games like zooworld and fishworld etc from the phone. Is this even possible? I don't really understand all of the jargon about data plans, 3G, wi-fi. Bottome line, I want to be able to play these games during downtimes, say at work on break, waiting in the car, etc. I do understand that I will have to get a data plan of some sort. But what is the difference between 3G and wi-fi or mobile web? Are they the same? If any of you have experience in what I would like a phone to do, please give me some suggestions on which one would be best for it. Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2010, 01:11 PM

3G is third generation cell phone technology. 4G is the latest.

WIFI is wireless internet, such as what hotspots have or one has with a wireless router that you might have at home.

Mobile web means that there is a browser on the telephone. You can usually add another browser such as Opera mini.

Data may come in flavors. Unlimited data on the phone generally means web and email.

It may not mean you can send and receive SMS messages for free. This is a separate cost. While you can send via an email client for free with a data plan, it's not the same as sending it through the phone's SMS application or receiving it on the phone.

Facebook MAY require an application just like Gmail does. Sometimes there is a charge for the applications.

Don't know about games. Can't speak about Verizon.

Mar 8, 2010, 06:14 AM

What are SMS messages? I don't really plan to text much, or send email. I mainly want it to play the games while I am away from home, and use it as a phone. I don't do music either, and probably won't download "apps" or whatever that you see on TV.
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2010, 09:49 AM

An SMS message is a text message. They are limited to 256 characters. They can be sent by any email program and the phone.

They are usually in the form <phone number>@<specific domain name>

The second type of message that can be sent via the phone is an MMS or Multi-Media-Message. This allows pictures to be sent to the cell phone. It's sent to the phone using the same form as above, but with a slightly modifed domain name selected by the carrier.

SMS/TEXT/MMS messages cost money per message unless some other message plan is selected. Some messages may be free, like bill payment messages from the carrier.

Mar 8, 2010, 02:59 PM
    Well, I don't think I would be doing much of that then. Thank you for your information. I just want to play those little games on Facebook mainly, and make phone calls. Which phone would be best for that?
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2010, 03:08 PM

Since I have no experience with Facebook or Facebook games, I really can't help you.

What I do know is that my provider has an APP for Facebook for purchase. I don't know what it does.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Microphone capability malfunction [ 6 Answers ]

I have just purchased Dragon voice recognition software. In loading the program it appears that my microphone facility does not work. I have checked the connection plug to ensure they are in the correct scokets. Is their any way that I can determine if this is a software or hardware problem? ...

Creating DOS Disk With Network Capability. [ 1 Answers ]

I currently am using OS X, but I have a machine in my room running XP and I want to create a DOS boot disk with the files it has that has capability with either a Broadcom wireless card or a Netgear WG111v2 USB. I am currently doing this with 98SE DOS files and I wanted more tools with more...

Smartphone/ PDA? [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a smartphone and a pda?

SmartPhone Deduction? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all! First post... I'm thinking of upgrading my cell phone to a "SmartPhone" (able to run Word, Excel, Outlook, browse internet, etc.). I work in the IT industry and would be doing this to help me in doing my job, however my employer does not provide my cell phone nor will they purchase the...

View more questions Search