Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amendoza1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 07:22 AM
    Wash sale stock
    I have 2000 stock bought in April 2005 at $ 2, this company is now $ 0.22. What are the rules for a wash sale of this stock. Thanks
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

Nov 29, 2006, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amendoza1
    I have 2000 stock bought in april 2005 at $ 2, this company is now $ 0.22. what are the rules for a wash sale of this stock. thanks
    You may not deduct losses from the sale or trade of stock in a wash sale. A wash sale is when you sell/trade stock resulting in a loss and repurchase/trade substantially the same stock or security within a 30 day period after the initial sale/trade. If a wash sale results and the loss is not allowed, add the non-deductible loss to the basis of the new stock/trade.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 29, 2006, 03:52 PM
    Delite hit it right on the nail head!

I have nothing to add!
    Larry Kuznick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2012, 01:32 PM
    In other words, if I sold 1000 shares of xyz at $10, which had originally been purchased at $90, I have an $80,000 loss, If I bought back 1000 shares in 29 days, I have a wash sale. So, should I sell 1000 shares again one year later or whenever, @ e.g. $11, my cost for IRS purposes would be $80,000 plus $79,000 for a total reportable loss of $159,000.

Is this correct? Could you please reply to me at: [email protected]

Many thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 8, 2012, 04:20 PM
    No, your original basis applies plus whatever your secondary basis was. In your example, your original basis is $90K. Let's assume your 29-day cost was $15,000, so, in total, your basis is $105,000.

If you then sold the 1,000 shares at $20 a share at a time beyond the wash sale restrictions for $20,000, your total loss would be $85,000.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stock Split and Stock Dividend [ 3 Answers ]

The common stock of Alexander Hamilton Inc. is currently selling at $120 per share. The directors wish to reduce the share price and increase share volume prior to a new issue. The per share par value is $10; book value is $70 per share. Nine million shares are issued and outstanding. Prepare...

Stock provision and over valuation of stock [ 4 Answers ]

can anyone send me double entry for stock provision ? Provision amount is 200,000. further stock is over valued by 100,000 what will be the accounting entry for over valuation of stock. Early response will be of immmmmense help for me:o

Tax implications of stock sale [ 1 Answers ]

My parents were joint owners of a large amount of 1 company's stock. My Father died this year. We all agree with my Mother that reducing risk by liquidating some of this amount and putting it in a safer, more diversified instrument(s). Is there an advantage in selling some of this in this year(of...

Sperm wash [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm HIV positive married man. We planning to have child, and try to do sperm wash in Italy, or any other European country. Is any information available, where and how to apply for this? Much, much thanks for any info. Peter

Best wash sale SW available? [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone used a wash sale SW? If so, please let me know what you think about it. I need a wash sale SW that can caculate various scenarios. I bought and sold a same stock many times this year. One resulted in a loss which fell into a wash sale situation. I want to claim the full loss for...

View more questions Search