Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trotbags Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 06:58 AM
    Have router but computer tries to dial-up
    Hay, my computer is a dell PC with a pentium 3 processor and xp. I'm a student andlive in a house where the router is upstairs and a I need connect my PC using my wireless card to the router upstairs. I've been able to get my card to find our houses server and establish a connection with the router upstairs. However, when I click on the explorer button it comes up saying 'dial up' and stuff and tries to dial instead of connecting through the router. I know nothing about computers. I looked on another website and they said that my problem is that I don't have an ip address (I know I don't have one of these). How do I get one. Help!!

Thanks for taking the time to respond to this.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Dec 2, 2006, 10:48 AM
    If you can see and connect to the wireless network in your house, then you probably just need to change the settings that are making the computer use the dialup connection. I'll describe how to do this using Windows XP and Internet Explorer, since that is the most common setup. If you are using something else, please lpost what you are using.

If you are using windows XP and Internet Explorer
    Go into the control panel and double click on Internet Options
    Click on the "Connections" tab
    Click the button next to "Never Dial a Connection"
    Click on the LAN settings button
    Make sure the only box checked is the one that says "Automatically detect settings"
    Click OK
    Click OK again
    Close the control panel.

Assuming you are connected to the wireless network, you shuold now be able to open internet explorer and browse the web over wireless.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No dial tone [ 2 Answers ]

Over a couple of days my phone service deteriorated until there was nothing. Then, after a day, the ADSL came back (that's how I'm doing this) but not the dial tone. I unplugged all the phones and put them back one by one, but still nothing. Any suggesitons? Verizon is going to charge me...

Connect remote computer through dial-up [ 2 Answers ]

Dear experts How to connect 2 remote computers through modem and telephone line? Tell me the details procedure ? If it is not possible with modem then what is other way to connect ? Pl guide,? Thanks

Dial up connection [ 2 Answers ]

Aoa, I have dial up connection to internet.I can not listen phone calls during internet usage. I want to know that am I called by phone during my web browsing? Is there any program available to know about which Tel Phone calls are coming my during web browsing? Thank you

Dial up box [ 3 Answers ]

When I log on to widnows (WIN ME) the internet connection box opens as well. I don't know why but it's not a pain because I usually do want to connect to the net. BUT.. sometimes I don't want to go on the net so I cancel or close the box. Then after say 5 or 10 minutes it appears again. It mostly...

Automatic dial up [ 2 Answers ]

I have W2000 56modem. I want my computer to automatically dialup so I can go straight to my programs. I know that you have to uncheck the never dial a connection, but mine will not clear or uncheck. What do I do.

View more questions Search