Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmmeeks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 10:19 AM
    Employer forgot employee federal tax
    My employer did not take out my federal taxes that I stated on my W4. I did not discover it till I started my 2009 taxes. My pay stub does not list federal taxes per a pay or YTD so it went unnoticed. What are my rights regarding this?
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Mar 11, 2010, 09:56 AM

You will not be found innocent in not having the taxes withheld because although they were not listed on the stub you would have known if you were receiveing full wage or having taxes withheld. You are still liable to pay the taxes, however, the company may be liable to pay your penalties and interest if you can prove your W-4 was not adhered to properly.

Shirley
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2010, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildsporty View Post
    however, the company may be liable to pay your penalties and interest if you can prove your W-4 was not adhered to properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmmeeks View Post
    What are my rights regarding this?
    Hello d:

In terms of the law, you have no rights because nothing was done to you. Yes, your employer SHOULD have withheld your taxes, and it would have been convenient for him to do so, but your tax liability doesn't change and you owe (or not) the same amount you would have if he DID withhold your taxes. Besides, MOST people have more withheld than they owe, so they'll get a refund.

If you owe taxes and they're paid by today, there is NO penalty or interest.

excon
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Apr 15, 2010, 06:07 AM

This is not true. I know for a fact because I actually had this problem happen at work one year. The W-4 was imput wrong and not enough tax was withheld. The employee owed taxes and was charged a penalty for owing too much taxes. The company did not have to pay her taxes, but the IRS made us pay the penalty and interest for not withholding the correct amount of taxes. It happened, I was there.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax returns(Federal and State) for employee under OPT and H1B [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am from India and working as an full time employee towards a State University under my OPT. my Gross income is <= 50k and I live in Michigan. I know I am exempt from Social Security and Medicare Taxes under OPT. But I am not sure If I will get full tax refund of both Federal and...

Forgot to deduct Exemption amount in Federal Tax Return [ 2 Answers ]

Background: I came to US in Jan2008 and my family (wife & 2 kids) joined me in April 2008. Since all of us have lived more than 183 days, I think we come under the category 'US Resident Alien'. I prepared federal tax return - Married filing jointly using form 1040A. Myself and my spouse had SSN#...

FICA Tax must paid by employer or Employee? Is there any excemption in it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am on H1B visa , working in GA. 1. does the FICA tax needs to be paid by the employer or by employee? 2. is there any exemption based on annual income? If yes what should be the yearly income to get rid of FICA tax? I am curious to know the answer for these Payroll...

Federal & State tax not withheld by employer [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, One of my friend's employer didn't withheld federal & state tax for the entire year 2006. Now his current year's tax is around $3,000. Last year's tax was around $275. I want to know, whether he is supposed to pay any penalty or interest? If yes, then is there any option for paying...

View more questions Search