Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2010, 09:20 AM

I have no problem with the fact that Peter was in Rome at some point; Joe, I agree with you about the Babylon reference, especially since the literal Babylon was nothing but a collection of ruins at the time. I do have a problem with the idea that he was ever bishop of Rome. I accept the tradition that he was executed in Rome around the same time that Paul was.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Apr 18, 2010, 02:00 PM

Fr. Charles Chiniquy has informed us that it was the RCC that streneously objected to having the Bible taught in public schools.

I wonder why?
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2010, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    Fr. Charles Chiniquy has informed us that it was the RCC that streneously objected to having the Bible taught in public schools.

I wonder why?
    Probably because Chiniquy hated the Catholic Church.

He also said the Jesuits assassinated Abraham Lincoln, the Catholic Church was a vast conspiracy intending to take over the United States, has been the inspiration for the notorious anti-Catholic Jack Chick, and is beloved today by that extreme Bible-only segment of Protestantism.

He died in 1899, a convert to Protestantism.

I wonder why you brought it up?
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2010, 02:19 PM

I wonder why?
    Great Reference !:

Are you trying to make a point with a Jack Chick (a personification of 'hate-Catholic') reference? Gee, should we expect any less from an excommunicated crackpot? Is this the best you can do? FYI:

In 1885, a former Catholic priest, Charles Chiniquy, wrote a book titled Fifty Years in the Church of Rome in which he made many scandalous allegations against the Catholic Church, including the accusation that the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln in 1865 had been the result of a conspiracy by the Catholic Church, and that the assassin John Wilkes Booth was a Catholic who had been corrupted and led by the Vatican to commit the murder.

Chiniquy, who had been excommunicated by the Catholic Church in 1858, claimed that "emissaries of the Pope" had promised Booth "a crown of glory in heaven" for the killing of Lincoln. According to Chiniquy, the assassination was perpetrated by the Church in revenge for Lincoln's defense of Chiniquy in a 1856 lawsuit.

Chiniquy's writings are still widely distributed and promoted, in books and on webpages. The goal of this website is to provide factual information concerning Charles Chiniquy and his allegations against the Catholic Church. WHO WAS CHARLES CHINIQUY: Facts Versus Falsehood on this anti-Catholic preacher

See also, Charles Chiniquy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apr 18, 2010, 02:27 PM

Of course, he was excommunicated.

What does that prove?

Apr 18, 2010, 02:36 PM

More in line with the OP, I saw on the news a reporter holding a piece of ice in his hand that the volcano had thrown into the air. I looked like it weighed maybe 5 - 8 pounds and I thought about this passage.

Rev 16:21
    21 And there fell upon men a great hail out of heaven, every stone about the weight of a talent: and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail; for the plague thereof was exceeding great.
    (KJV)

The notes in my Bible say that a talent weighs about 114 pounds. Now that is much more than what you can hold in your hand, but just goes to show that large chunks of ice can actually fall from the skies.
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2010, 02:42 PM

I wonder why?
    Who cares?

Incidentally, Joe, Jack Chick's other inspiration for his hatred of Catholicism was Alberto Rivera, a guy who claimed to have been a priest and been involved in all kinds of horrible stuff. In the early 80's Christianity Today, one of the most prominent non-Catholic Christian publications in the country, investigated and found out that Rivera was a fraud. He had never been a priest, had never been to any of the places he wrote about, and was wanted in at least 7 states for things like check fraud.

Chick sure can pick 'em, eh?
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2010, 02:43 PM
    Of course, he was excommunicated.

What does that prove?
    It proves you're disingenuous.
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2010, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Huh?

Apr 19, 2010, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    It proves nothing of the sort!

Even if Chiniquy was excommunicated, it doesn't even prove that he was lying!

Your personal attack is not appreciated.

So the RCC says that Chiniquy lied. The RCC does not have a very good track record, even to this date about admitting when it is wrong. You know, all the pedophilia, etc.
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2010, 03:22 PM
    It proves nothing of the sort!!

Even if Chiniquy was excommunicated, it doesn't even prove that he was lying!
    Rev. Sydney F. Smith, S. J. makes an excellent case against Chinquy. His stories were fabricated, unsupported, false, or exaggerated. “in short, that the author of a story which makes out the Catholic Church of Canada and the United States, at the date of which he writes, to be so essentially different from what unbiased witnesses find it to be within the scope of their own direct observation, is one who paints himself in his own book as destitute of all those qualities which predispose a discerning reader to repose confidence in an author's statements.” See the following: AN EXAMINATION OF HIS "FIFTY YEARS IN THE CHURCH OF ROME" by REV. SYDNEY F. SMITH, S.J. AN ESSAY ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED IN 1908 (WHO WAS CHARLES CHINIQUY: Facts Versus Falsehood on this anti-Catholic preacher )

JoeT
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2010, 05:58 AM
    More in line with the OP, I saw on the news a reporter holding a piece of ice in his hand that the volcano had thrown into the air. I looked like it weighed maybe 5 - 8 pounds and I thought about this passage.

Rev 16:21
    21 And there fell upon men a great hail out of heaven, every stone about the weight of a talent: and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail; for the plague thereof was exceeding great.
    (KJV)

The notes in my Bible say that a talent weighs about 114 pounds. Now that is much more than what you can hold in your hand, but just goes to show that large chunks of ice can actually fall from the skies.
    Imagine it? What a horrible blood bath and instead of repenting, the people blasphemed God. This is a perfect example of the condition of mankind... a stoney heart and pride out the waaazooo! Glad this little pretribber won't be here to see it. :)
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2010, 02:49 PM

classyT,
    Yes, it is many people's habit to blame God for happenings.
    Even insurance companies use the term "acts of God".
    They really are consequences of nature.
    Some of the boulders that blew out of Mt. St Helens weighed about a ton. Fortunately they only flew about a mile.
    Smaller chunks flew much farther.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dealing With My Emotions - Trials and Tribulations [ 9 Answers ]

I recently went through a very unexpected breakup with my boyfriend of 4 years. The breakup brought a lot of issues to my attention - I have sought professional help to deal with these issues so they do not affect me later in life. My question(s) - One of my issues was that I was not an...

View more questions Search