Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 08:57 PM
    Interested in starting a cleaning service
    Hi,

I am interested in starting a cleaning company in my area. Any suggestions/advice/tips are welcome.

Thank you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 09:06 PM

Offices? Residential? Special situations? Helping people unclutter?
    Vision Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 09:11 PM

All the above.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2010, 10:31 PM
    Hi, Momma!

Stringer would say that there's more money doing the commercial jobs. I've already spoken to him about this a number of times. I've thought about getting into the cleaning business myself. Just haven't acted upon it. For me, I would probably start in the residential, simply because I have more connections there and would find it easier to get work.

How much experience have you had cleaning for others in order to make a profit for yourself, please?

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 10:51 PM

I've been a caregiver for three years now & that's half my job. I clean my own house. I'm very meticulous and thorough when I clean.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 11:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    I've been a caregiver for three years now & that's half my job. I clean my own house. I'm very meticulous and thorough when I clean.
    I bet you could get lots of cleaning jobs by posting ads in senior centers (with their permission).
    Vision Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 11:08 PM

Not a bad idea. I'm brainstorming, taking notes, taking suggestions right now. When I'm healed I can start putting things into action.
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2010, 11:10 PM
    Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I bet you could get lots of cleaning jobs by posting ads in senior centers (with their permission).
    Those sort of places would definitely be one of the resources to find work.
    Vision Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 11:12 PM

Thanks Clough.
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2010, 11:12 PM
    Do you already have the necessary liability insurance, Momma?
    Vision Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 11:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Do you already have the necessary liability insurance, Momma?
    No, like I said I'm just in the brainstorming phase right now.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 11:25 PM

From ezinearticles.com --

The first step is to prepare a business plan. This does not have to be a long document, but should be fairly comprehensive and address the following points:

*The company name, address, phone number, owners/corporate officers and statement of purpose.

*Description of the business, products and services you intend to sell.

*The legal structure, business management, employees, support personnel, insurance and financial considerations.

*A look at your competition and your marketing plan.

*A three to five year financial plan with documentation including a cash flow worksheet, balance sheet, and income statement.

Put together a support team including an accountant, attorney and insurance agent. If you are not comfortable doing bookwork and administrative tasks you might want to also look for a part-time bookkeeper or virtual assistant who can help with these duties.

Other start up tasks include:

*After deciding on your business name do a trademark search and assumed name search to make sure the name is available. Most states have web sites that allow you to do an online search.

*Decide if you are going to work out of your home or lease office space.

*Apply for any necessary licenses, get your federal tax ID and file assumed name.

*Contact your local small business center and get a copy of your state's small business start up guide. Each state has their own individual requirements and will have fact sheets or guidebooks that will indicate if there are specific licenses, permits or forms you need to file before starting your business.

*Open bank accounts in the business name.

*Obtain the appropriate insurances.

*If necessary, secure financing.

*Set up a system for accounting and payroll.

*Obtain business tools, computer, fax machine, and office supplies.

*Purchase cleaning equipment and supplies.

*Obtain a logo.

*Order or create your business stationary - business cards, letterhead and brochures.

*Have signage created.

*Create an operations and employee manual.

*Hire employees.

*Set a start date.

*Send out press releases.

*Join trade associations, the local chamber of commerce and local networking groups.

*Check on domain names and develop a website.

Begin marketing your business. Your business plan includes a marketing plan so use this as your guide. Your initial marketing may include direct mail pieces, ads in the local paper or radio, and perhaps a banner ad on a complimentary website. Think about developing alliances with other local businesses. Make sure that everyone you know realizes that you have a new business. Send out postcards or letters announcing your new business to friends, family and business acquaintances.

Have realistic goals for the first year of your business. Do not expect that clients will come knocking at your door. You have to convince prospective clients that you provide the services they need at an acceptable price. Once you have a few clients on board, get testimonials from them that you can use to convince other prospective clients that they need your services.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 11:29 PM

And (in case you need more ideas for start-up) ---

How to Start A Residential Cleaning Business

How to Start a Cleaning Service - Entrepreneur.com
    Vision Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 11:30 PM

If anyone has ideas for a name, through it out there.
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2010, 11:30 PM
    If you're going to be transporting any chemicals of any kind, that will affect how your liability insurance will be.

I can certainly help you and will be glad to do so with marketing on the Internet, if you would like to do that. That's how I get most of my business for the things that I do.
    Vision Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 11:33 PM
    If you're going to be transporting any chemicals of any kind, that will affect how your liability insurance will be.

I can certainly help you and will be glad to do so with marketing on the Internet, if you would like to do that. That's how I get most of my business for the things that I do.
    Help would be great. Thank you, Clough.
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2010, 11:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    If anyone has ideas for a name, through it out there.
    Absolute Cleaning Service is one idea. Sounds professional and most likely will get you listed first on many lists.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 11:39 PM
    Absolute Cleaning Service is one idea. Sounds professional and most likely will get you listed first on many lists.
    She should make sure this (or any) name is not already in use in the area.

A+ Cleaning
    Attila the Cleaner
    Scour Power
    The Bluejeaner Cleaner
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 11:42 PM

When I started my resume business out of my home, my village wanted $40 a year for a license, but the township and the county didn't charge anything.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 11:53 PM

Congratulations Momma. Starting your own business is exhilarating, challenging and can be very rewarding.

The information that Clough and WG have given you is a great start.

The key In my opinion is that you must never waver in your desire to succeed. There can be many setbacks but they are only challenges not roadblocks. Don't get discouraged, always onward and upward. There is no better feeling than controlling your own destiny.

And as WG listed in her post, you have to go after the business. Decide why you are better and promote that.

Good luck to you.

(WG no commas died in the preparation of this post. :))

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting a cleaning service [ 2 Answers ]

In order to start a cleaning service do I have to have license? And how do I go about getting them??

Interested in hiring employees fir my cleaning service [ 7 Answers ]

I am getting ready to hire two employees for part time work for my residential and commercial cleaning business. Only thing that I am clueless about is how much to pay them. I am just a little unsure what the going wages are at the moment for Maids and Commercial Cleaning Maids. Is there a big...

Starting a Cleaning Service. Advice? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm thinking about starting a cleaning service in my area, where I would specialize in cleaning rentals and brand new houses. I am currently out in my area talking to people to see if they think it would be a service they would use. So I really am just in the beginning stages. I'm wondering...

Starting a cleaning service [ 6 Answers ]

Hello experts, Im located in Louisville Ky and I was interested in starting a cleaning service without tuns of money invested. Some of the things I would like to know is were do I start in terms of utilities and supplies, and what are the best markets or clients best suited for this carrer...

Starting cleaning service [ 1 Answers ]

I'm Interested in starting a cleaning service in Georgia. What should I do first? Do I need a business license or a permit? What is the best way to star this business? Can I start this business from home?

View more questions Search