Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twit78 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2010, 07:58 PM
    My mother signed herself out of a mental health facility but still needs help.
    My mother was hospitalized last week for not taking her insulin for several months. She was then moved to a mental health facility by the hospital. She was there for two days and the therapist I talked to said she was being tested and observed. Unfortunately, she signed herself out yesterday. I believe she is still a danger to herself because she refuses to take care of herself, is a hoarder, and drives with very poor vision due to the diabities neglect. Is there anything else that I can do to force her to get help? I really feel that if she does not get help she will be found dead.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 08:01 PM

Can you get her car keys away from her?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 08:18 PM

Depends some on the state ( if in the US)
    In GA, it takes several family members to file in court to have to held for up to three days for required testing ( or her doctor having her committed to be observed)

But beyond three days there has to be serious issues found that could not be dealt with in outpatient, also there has to be funding available to pay the bills for this treatment. Most insurance has very limited coverage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Worries about my mother [ 5 Answers ]

I hope somebody can help me. I have an elderly mother I care much about, but I´m afraid she has serious mental health problems and it´s affecting the whole family. I have wonderful nieces and nephews and fostered a couple of them. We all went on a trip this year and had great fun - including my...

Can I have my sister put into a mental health facility? [ 1 Answers ]

My sister is in need of a lot of help. She's 24 years old, recently diagnosed as having Bipolar disorder. She was prescribed Xanax to control her anxiety attacks but doesn't use it for the prescribed reasons... she's been using the Xanax to get high and also drinks heavily while using it. She's...

Mental Health [ 3 Answers ]

What causes teenage depression?

Mental health [ 2 Answers ]

How Do I Have Someone Committed To A Mental Health Hospitol?

Mental health [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone feel they lose energy the older they get?

View more questions Search