Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whattagirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2010, 02:59 PM
    Boyfriends dad told him he should be with my best friend what do I do?
    Let's start with that I haven't been official with this guy for long but we did date for a month or so before he asked me to be his girlfriend. My best friend set us up and now they are best friends and spend more time then I do with him. He always talks about her and how they are best friends and how they tell each other everything and same with her she always tells me that he tells her everything and how close they are and it REALLY hurts me. They always leave me out and I feel like he is dating her more then me. Everyone including my family thinks that their dating rather then us being togethor. I try to be there for him and he just shuts me out. I don't know what to do. I asked him about it and he just said they were just best friends but don't you think I should be his best friend? Considering I AM his girlfriend. The other girl is my best friend too. But she told me today that when she was hanging out with him (yet again without me) his dad told them they would make a cute couple and should be togethor and his dad knows he is with me. Should I be worried? I try not to think about it but it bothers me so much. I really like him and don't want to lose him. HELP!
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2010, 03:03 PM

How old are you?

Mar 6, 2010, 03:04 PM

Im 16 and he is 17.
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2010, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by whattagirl View Post
    Im 16 and he is 17.
    Move on, keep your friendship and tell him that you don't think that it will work. Find someone you can spend time with, and not feel like you're being nudged out by your best friend. You're still young, and if your friendship is more important than your short-term relationship, then do the right thing for everyone and move on. I have a feeling that you see what everyone else sees, and you don't want to admit it. And I have a feeling that you'll just continue to be jealous until there is a huge dramatic blow-up between all three of you, and have neither of them at your side. If they're as close as you say they are, you're not going to get between their "friendship" so here's the deal, you haven't been dating that long, don't keep letting yourself feel this way. I PROMISE, there are guys out there that you won't have to compete with your best friend for.

Maybe the three of you can become best friends, and you'll have your own boyfriend. But the way I see it, you're not doing yourself any favors, so just cut your losses.

Mar 6, 2010, 03:19 PM

Yeah I thought of that its like I think that when I'm not with him but then when its just me and him I want to be with him. He tells me all the time how much he likes me but I don't know if he is just trieing to convince himself. Because his best friend likes my best friend as well. So its like a lose lose situation all the way around.
    Cyberstar Posts: 33, Reputation: 16

Mar 6, 2010, 04:10 PM
    You say you really like him and don't want to lose him - what do you really like about him? Certainly not his behaviour, and that seems to be a huge problem. It sounds like you are struggling too much to force something that doesn't fit, and it's a one-sided, losing battle.

And for the record, if she cared about your feelings and wanted to be considerate, your friend should not have repeated that line said by your boyfriend's dad, especially if she knows how you're feeling already.

This is a good experience in finding out what you want in a relationship AND in a friendship, what you will or will not tolerate, and what kind of boundaries you set for yourself. Don't put yourself through this emotional rollercoaster any longer than you have to. Go back to being friends.
    myopinion. Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2010, 04:39 PM

Talk to him! Communication is very importand in a relationship. Tell him how you feel. Ask questions. Ask if he likes her more than a best friend. Would he rather be with you or her. Ask if he can not hangout with her alone or without you. Or to hang out with you more than he does hangout with her.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2010, 04:49 PM
    Doesn't sound as if either of these people care about your very much! Your BF hangs out with your best GF and they ignore you?

Well, if they make such a cute couple, I'd back off and let them have each other. Clearly they like each other more than they like you.

Yea, it's hard - but somehow you've chosen a GF and a BF that don't respect your feelings and you're letting them hurt you by allowing the situation to continue.

Let your BF know you're rather spend time with someone that makes you their priority. And, perhaps focus on some of your other GF's - this one certainly hasn't got your best interests at heart!
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2010, 06:05 PM
    Yeah I thought of that its like i think tht when im not with him but then when its just me and him i want to be with him. He tells me all the time how much he likes me but i dont know if he is just trieing to convince himself. because his best friend likes my bestfriend as well. so its like a lose lose situation all the way around.
    If you doubt it when you're not with him, then that's a BIG flag that you should just walk away. Don't lose your friens over this. You're only 16, believe me when I tell you that you're going to have feelings for other guys in the future as well. He's just another one. You'll be fine.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 7, 2010, 11:41 AM

they are best friends and spend more time then I do with him.
    I am confused how your g/f can spend so much time with your b/f, and she has a b/f herself. Why is that so?
    AlwysConfezzled Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 02:53 PM

I feel the same, my situation is similar, only we are a few years younger. Talk to them about it, like tomorrow if you can.

That is my plan for me, hope it applies to you.

Good luck, and remember that as the fairy tales say(I know life isn't a fairy tale) True love conquers all.

Mar 11, 2010, 09:57 AM

I broke up with him! He told me he thought he wanted a girlfriend but he doesn't anymore. He really didn't have feelings for me. Im so relieved to be out of that relationship! But yet again I'm really hurt. Thank you guys for your advice it all worked out.
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2010, 04:44 PM
    I broke up with him! He told me he thought he wanted a girlfriend but he doesnt anymore. He really didnt have feelings for me. Im so relieved to be out of that relationship! but yet again im really hurt. Thank you guys for your advice it all worked out.
    SEE! You did good! It's only your pride that's hurt sweetheart, you'll feel better in no time. I'm proud of you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did my dad really mean what he said when he told me I shouldn't have ever been born? [ 14 Answers ]

So I got into trouble for getting home a little later from school yesterday... maybe like 5 minutes later at the most. I called my dad and told him I would be home a little bit later because I had a club meeting to go to that lasted only a few minutes, he said that was fine, and that I needed to be...

My Dad once told me that he didn't think I was his son. [ 2 Answers ]

I was camping with my Dad a few years ago when I was home from working overseas. We had spent the day exploring the local area and went to a local pub in the evening for a few drinks. When we returned to the camp site, we stayed up listening to music and playing cards. By this point were were...

My brother is being told he is a dad and didn't know it [ 1 Answers ]

My brother is 18 years old. A friend of mine told him that he was the father of her 4year old son. That would make him to be 14 and my friend to be 18 when they slept together. She wants him to take a dna test and then sign his rights over. If he does that then would he still have to pay child...

Interesting joke my dad told me once [ 4 Answers ]

What has four legs, green fur and if it fell out of a tree it would kill you? You're either going to like this one or you're going to hate it. Lol

Can my dad bring my boyfriends parents to trial? [ 12 Answers ]

I'm not entirly sure if this is the right spot for me to ask this question, but I felt that this was the most appropriate topic to ask it in. Basically some backround information: I started dating a guy about a year and 7 months ago. At the time that we started dating I was 15, but now I am 17. ...

View more questions Search