Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jacki79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2010, 12:56 PM
    Do I need the social security number for the beneficiary that I choose for my 401k?
    Do I need the social security number for the beneficiary that I choose for my 401k? A friend want to put my 5 year old daughter as a beneficiary and I don't want to give out her social security number.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 8, 2010, 12:24 PM

I believe you will have to provide the SSN in order for your friend to complete the beneficairy form. I know that most (perhaps all?) institutions require the SSN on the beneficiary designation form. If you think about it, how else could they know they've got the right person when your friend passes? It could be 50 years from now, and by then your daughter may have moved ten times and could be living under a married name. Without the SSN it would be impossible to be sure she's really the correct beneficiary.
    young_soulja Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2013, 12:02 PM
    So my grandma past away in May and left me in her life insurance will. My family is really money hungry and I have a feeling she will try and take my portion of the money. She contacted me for my SSN. My Aunt says she is the sole beneficiary and is provisioning over my money and the only way to disburse my share of the money she has in the account to me she will need my ssn. She said she was the sole beneficiary and is provisioning over my money... is there such thing? Or is she trying to trick me? I told her I wouldn't have a problem going in person to the insurance company but she says there's no where to go and the money has been released to her but she has to account for any and all disbursements and without me giving my ssn I won't be able to receive my share. I found it strange how I wasn't contacted by the insurance company themselves? Help!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrong social security number [ 2 Answers ]

If you was the payroll supervisor what would you do if you noticed that a Social Security number is wrong on a employees' W-2 form. How would you go about correctng the form. Will the employees be penalized for filing incorrect forms.

Can I use my birth social security number? [ 1 Answers ]

Prior to my adoption I had a social security number. Can I use my old social?

Regarding social security number [ 4 Answers ]

:)Hello, I need to know what my child's social security number is for taxes. His card was misplaced during a move .

Social Security Number and 401k for married F2 non-resident [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am on a F2 Visa because of my wife's F1 Visa. She is working full time, she is on her OPT (Optional Practical Training) now. She already has her Social Security Number and she is contributing for her 401k. We are both legal in the US and we are both non-residents. 1)...

Social Security Number (L1 to H4) [ 0 Answers ]

Need help on the below situation One of my friend had come to US on L1 visa and got social security number during her work. Then she went back to india. Now she is coming back to US but this time on H4 visa. So my question is can she use the same Social Security Number for H4 that she had...

View more questions Search