Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Baldoon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2010, 12:07 PM
    Two phone jacks not working in my home
    My home has six phone jacks.

(1)Two of these jacks are not working. When you hook up a landline to them you get no dial tone or any other sound for that matter. One of these jacks used to have a landline on it and it did work.

(2) I have taken all of the cordless phones out of the house and now one jack has the internet hookup and another working jack has a landline phone.

(3) The other working jacks have a lot of static on them and if you try to make an incoming call you only get half a ring and then dead air.

Does anyone have an idea of what is wrong? I have disconnected the internet to see if this changes anything and it has not. Any help would be appreciated.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2010, 02:22 PM

I modified your post a bit for readability. Hope I got it right.

Let's deal with item #3 for a second. First, "you can't make an incoming call", but you can answer one.

Next, Turn off power to the DSL modem. Do these jacks not have the static anymore?

You know about DSL splitters and filters? Which are you using and where?
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2010, 02:35 PM

I agree with KISS.
    My desk phone works fine.
    But without filters on my cordless hook up nothing but static.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2010, 11:49 PM

To explain the post a bit more. With power on to the DSL modem and no filters, there will be static on the line. An unfiltered line goes to the modem only.

With power off to the DSL modem, the line reverts to a normal phone line and most if not all phones should work without static.

Filters must be placed at all phones OR a DSL splitter should be used split the line at or near the demarcation point (NID). If the splitters are used, filters are not needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewiring phone jacks [ 1 Answers ]

How can I rewire my landline phone jack?

TWO electrical phone jacks - one under the other [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: POINT # 1. I am on dial up. TWO: I have correctly rewired the wall jack as instructed on here, and still have a dial tone go my phone. However there is a jack on the baseboard, direbtly underneith the one rewired on the wall BUT it has multiple colored wires, and I still do not have...

Rewiring phone jacks [ 2 Answers ]

I read through other similar topics and couldn't find an answer. Just had the phone company out as my line was dead. Problem with wiring in the house. The pair of wires (white w/ blue mark, blue w/ white mark) that were hooked up to line one In the NIC box (red/green connectors) supposedly...

Connect Dead Phone Jacks [ 2 Answers ]

I've recently moved into a house, and only 2 of the 6 phone jacks work. I only have one line... I've already compared the "working" jacks to the non-working jacks, and they seem to have a similar configuration. The outside wires are all going to line one. Any ideas how to get these phone jacks...

Wiring phone jacks [ 3 Answers ]

I need to rewire a phone jack back to a different number. How do I do this? Any help appreciated.

View more questions Search