Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hlmolly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2010, 07:52 AM
    Socialize dogs with other dogs
    have a 8 yr old Golden that I adopted from a Golden Retreiver Resue group. She does not get along with other dogs-fantastic with people,kids etc. Only one time has she tried to fight-normally she stands firm with her ears up, growls,barks and strains on the leash. I had her to an obedience school and she was relatively good there, but overall her performance did not change.She has made friends with a couple of dogs in the neighbordood, but other neighbors are a conflict. Just thought I would ask if there is any easy fix.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 08:48 AM

Easy fix? no.

With a dog this old it's probably going to be a training objective the rest of her life. Can she be better? Absolutely.

Work with her. She'll love the attention.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 8, 2010, 10:32 AM

I have a dog hater myself. It's something that you will probably always have to live with and work around. When you rescued her, they probably said it was best if she were in a single dog dwelling right?

If she has shown dog aggression, it's best to never give her the chance to attack again. There are lots of things you can do to help her with that, so you both can enjoy being around other animals.

As with any type of aggression, a great start is... Protocols for relaxation and deference.
    I would also stay clear of letting her "run free" around other dogs. If you don't already have one, invest in a Halty or a gentel leader, while she is at the dog park, or around her 'friends' make sure she wears this at all times.

She will always need to be supervised, especially when she is wearing her halty/gentel leader. All this is doing is showing her that you are in control of every situation.

Like Cats said, it's a training objective. Something you can work on. But, no there is no easy fix.

HEre is a link for the protocols.

Protocol for relaxation
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 09:54 AM

If the dog is dog aggressive, then you are never going to change it. Aggression cannot be trained out. The only thing you can do, is to be aware of the triggers.

My dog is similar to what you described. She is great with people, selective with other dogs. I know exactally what she doesn't like, which would be large, hairy dogs. I also know that I cannot allow other dogs to approach her from a certain direction. Knowing what triggers your dog into aggression is, in my mind, the safest tool you can learn with your dog.

My dog is not dog aggressive. Can we go to a dog park? Not unless there is laibility insurance for dogs. Can I take her to pet stores, obedience classes and other crowded places with dogs? Absolutely. She never lunges, growls, or snaps at other dogs in public places.. In fact, she could care less about other dogs. I never trained her to do that. But you can train them to ignore other dogs. Show your dog that there is more reward from hanging out with you and ignoring other dogs. Just grab a handful of treats and start small.. Walk down the street. Anytime your dog displays signs of aggression towards another dog, grab her attention with that treat and immediately walk the opposite direction. All aggression is based on fear. Maybe your dog had a tramatic up bringing when it came to meeting new dogs.

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Dogs For Dogs [ 7 Answers ]

My 20 Month Old -13 Lb Female Shih Tzu Has Always Been A Picky Eater. Recently We Gave Her A Beef Hot Dog... she Won't Eat Anything Else. I Give Her 2 Hot Dogs At Noon & 2 At 6pm... she Lovvvvvvvvves Them & Is Happy As Can Be. Am I Feeding Her Too Much & Is She Getting Proper Nutrition? Thank You

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

Ask about dogs [ 7 Answers ]

I live in NYC. I just got a dog from a rescue. Sweet, mild, unfixed pit bull mix. She's not in heat, I know because her two month old pup is with us and counting back, she shouldn't go into heat for another 2-3 months. At the dog run today for the first time, though, all the dogs ganged up on her,...

Ask about dogs [ 4 Answers ]

My 14 week old lab is pooping in her crate and then it gets all over her and the crate and the floor around the crate. By the time I get home it is dried and caked on her and everywhere else. She is almost in a panic when I get home. Then we tried to lock her up in a little bigger area with a...

Dogs [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone no when the pit bull banning started? I need 2 know because I'm doing a speech on the bannings of pit bulls.

View more questions Search