Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jem1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2010, 09:27 PM
    Cesar millan puppy biting
    I have a vert smart, sweet and gentle 11yo, slightly overweight, female chihuahua whom I dearly love... The problem is my 3mo female rottwieller/german shepherd mix puppy that is very beautiful, smart, and acts very adorable... but she has very sharp teeth and wants nothing more than to constantly use them to "playfully" bite not only me but my chihuahua. I've tried saying "shhhh" and snapping my fingers and also using my fingers to place pressure on her neck area to restrain her. She will stop for a minute but the minute I turn around, she's after my chihuahua again. I take her for long walks, and provide chew toys. I try to separate them, but wonder how long I will have to continue to do so... What more can I do? I also have another 5yo male chihuahua who is starting to become aggressive with the new pup. I believe he's protecting his girlfriend, my older chihuahua... All three of my dogs are rescue dogs and I will do everything possible to ensure they are all happy, healthy and safe.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2010, 11:07 PM

That pinching their neck technique makes me laugh :D

The best way to stop a puppy biting is to deprive them of the one thing they want... attention. Or to redirect their biting onto something a bit more suitable than your hand.

When I have a biting puppy, as soon as he digs his teeth into my hand I let out a high pitched "OUCH!" so that it sounds like a dogs yelp.
    Then I stand up and walk away, ignoring the pup.

This has worked for all of my dogs, be it at 2 months or 2 years.

Are all 3 dogs desexed? I would be worried about the Chi being aggressive towards the bigger dog and correct that behaviour as well.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 05:11 AM
    With a 3 month old Doberman in the house, I have recent experience with this (an hour ago). Puppies bite while playing, teething, investigating, or acting out when things aren't going their way. The size discrepancy in your case is a cause for concern, as the little ones could get injured accidentally.

You might consider distraction techniques like a squirt bottle or compressed air can (like they use for cleaning keyboards). A squirt of water in the face, particularly when unexpected, will almost always let you get their attention so you can divert the puppy playfulness to something better, like playing with you.

Like Shazamataz said, address the male's aggressiveness right now.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 06:15 AM

Gang I still have to spread more rep But I agree witH Shaz's methid. It's a tried and true method and works 9 times out of 10. The high pitch OUCH resembels what they would hear from mom or liter mates. Cats suggestion of the diversion is also a great way to help.
    Some people use the squirt bottel with water, I'm not such a fan, I prefer more positive reinforcement tactics.
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Some people use the squirt bottel with water, I'm not such a fan, I prefer more positive reinforcement tactics.
    The squirt is for distraction, not discipline. Maybe I wasn't quite clear. An air can works just as well, or a clicker, or a whistle, or a bell. The point is to catch their attention and divert them from dangerous activity into other fun.

Jem, you'll need to find what distraction method works best for you. Yelping doesn't work on ours, she just gets loud back at you.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 09:26 AM

Sorry cats,I didn't mean to twist that :)
    I agree it is a good method for diverson, but some people take it too far. Not saying that the OP would do that or anything. It does work for a lot of dogs. And a lot of people use it, it's just not my preferred method, but you totally right, the OP has to find something that works for her and go with it. Can I recommend puppy manner classes, or level one obiedience classes?
    Dogs Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 11:13 AM

Why thank you sir!
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 11:47 AM
    Why thank you sir!
    Have you noticed you can't use the sarcasm font in giving greenies? I can see where some would like to keep the green and purple separate, but hey...
    Dogs Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 12:12 PM

Green and purple?. it's my first day...

I figure if I take 9 out of the 10 things you say as sarcastic, then I am doing good :p
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 12:23 PM
    I figure if I take 9 out of the 10 things you say as sarcastic, then I am doing good
    Maybe seven
    Dogs Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 12:26 PM

Ahhhh... it's all coming together now.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2010, 12:48 PM

MY dog was biting me and my grandkids she's two ,just started this.Iwould also go OUCH!
    But I would get her and bite her slightly on the ear ,she has ouite
    And doesn't even nip at any one .
    Did this three times..
    Luck
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2010, 04:27 PM

That whole fingers to the neck thing is just another way of distracting the dog. You're not actually supposed to pinch, just touch. It doesn't always work. But find a way to distract your dog that works for you. Let us know how it goes. :)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 05:06 PM

The squirt bottle and compressed air cans or even shaker cans/rattles are distance distractions for getting the pup to leave the older dogs alone.

Yelping and taking attention away can work for self-'protection', however, that method does not work when it is another creature the pup is 'playing' with and ignoring the 'back off' signals.

Another method we are trying (with limited success when the pup is extremely excited) is using obedience commands such as 'leave it'.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy biting himself [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 9 week old mini dachsund and he keeps biting at his hind quarters. He doesn't have fleas, so what is he doing?

Puppy biting [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 12 week old puppy and 2 children both girls 5 and 2,, the puppy won't stop biting the kids and at this point I'm wanting to get rid of the dog.. I ned help! Puppy school doesn't start for another 7 weeks but she may not last that long. If someone has a trick please share.

Puppy biting [ 6 Answers ]

I have bought a choc. Brown labrador puppy but he is constantly biting us. I have 2 kids age 8 and 12 and very concerned he gives the a bad nip. Have tried to raise voice but him on his blanked and tell him he is bad but this seems to make him even more aggressive. Is there anything you...

Puppy Is Still Biting! Help [ 4 Answers ]

Thank you for the advice on trying to solve my problem with my puppy's(labxgsd - now 12wks) excessive biting. I have tried holding her front legs up from behind - it works but just for a short while, 10 minutes later she comes back to bite. I have had her from 6wks - she was not that bad before. It...

Puppy Biting [ 2 Answers ]

I have an 8 week old puppy. He is constantly biting at me and the kids. Help! How can we stop this ?

View more questions Search