Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bjwebbb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2006, 09:32 PM
    Am I Jewish?
    I understand that Jewish descent is matrilineal, but how far back does that go -- all the way back to Moses, or just a generation or two? In researching my geneaology, I just discovered that my great-great-great grandmother (on my mother's side, straight matrilineal descent to me) was Jewish. However, no one on my mother's side of the family ever practiced Judaism or any other religion -- they're all atheists. My father's side of the family are practicing fundamentalist Christians. (No wonder I'm confused.) So, am I Jewish? Or am I a whatever, with Jewish roots? Thanks in advance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 28, 2006, 09:51 PM
    There are two forms of "jewish" one is the religion, and the other is a nationality.

You can have a jewish (nationality) heritiage.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Nov 30, 2006, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bjwebbb
    I understand that Jewish descent is matrilineal, but how far back does that go -- all the way back to Moses, or just a generation or two? In researching my geneaology, I just discovered that my great-great-great grandmother (on my mother's side, straight matrilineal descent to me) was Jewish. However, no one on my mother's side of the family ever practiced Judaism or any other religion -- they're all atheists. My father's side of the family are practicing fundamentalist Christians. (No wonder I'm confused.) So, am I Jewish? Or am I a whatever, with Jewish roots? Thanks in advance.
    You are by the common and tradition way of counting 'Jewishness' a Jew. You might also be a 'whatever' at the same time, but only you know the answer to part two.

Shalom aleikum

M:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jewish Tradition: [ 2 Answers ]

Christian tradition views sin as an enslavement rather than something fun we are denied. Does the Jewish tradition view the Law as a gift from God as opposed to an option or curse? HANK :confused:

How jewish woman are treated [ 2 Answers ]

I was curious as to if orthodox Jews make their wives step three steps behind them. I was also curios as to if it is true that woman are not allowed to speak to other men without the presence of their husband?

Am I Jewish [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Emily, My question is "Am I Jewish "? I have been told that unless my family members that were Jewish,were from my mother's side of our family I couldn't claim my Jewish Roots is this true? I'm very confused, why should it make any difference or does it? :confused:

Origins of Christian anti-Jewish sentiment. [ 25 Answers ]

What were the origins of Christian anti-Jewish sentiment?

View more questions Search