Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    banyan125 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2010, 03:20 PM
    Social Security Tax / Medicare Tax refund when I left usa
    Dear Sir or Madam,

I came to US as a research scholar (J1 visa). I've worked under J1 status from 04/2006 to 04/2010, and paid Social Security and Medicare fee for 2 years. However, I am leaving US soon, and no longer work and retire in US. So my questions will be:
    1. Am I eligible to claim the Social Security and Medicare tax back for these two years?
    2. What forms should I use to claim if it is OK?

Appreciate your time and timely reply.

Yours sincerely,

Kevin
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 04:22 AM

No you will not get FICA taxes back for returns after 2 years on J-1.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT-H1B, social security tax, medicare tax, undergrad (2001-2005), grad (2005-2007) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Could someone please advice my situation: I came to US under F1 visa to pursue undergrad from Fall 2001 - Spring 2005, then continue on grad school, under F1 again, from Fall 2005-Winter 2007. I begin my first job under OPT from January 2008 - October 2008, and continue the same job...

OPT Social and Medicare Tax refund [ 1 Answers ]

I had filed for OPT Social and Medicare tax refund a month ago. I am inquisitive as to know the time frame it takes for IRS to process my request. Please advice. Adi

OPT -> H1B, tax filing & Social Security and Medicare refund [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Atlanta Tax Expert, I graduated December 2007, and worked from March 2008 with my OPT, then visa status is changed to H1B from October 2008. At the same time my wife's visa is changed from F2 to H4. But my company paid Social Security tax and Medicare tax. In this case, since I am non...

Social security tax and medicare tax [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, there, I am a nonresident alien with H1B visa. I am filling up form 1040nr. I could not find a place to deduct social security tax and medicare tax which were deducted in my paychecks. There must be a place to deduct that amount, right? It does not make sense to pay federal tax on the...

Social/medicare tax refund for J-2 VISA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a graduate student at Vanderbilt University and my wife come here and got job to work for about 5 years and have been taxed for social /medicare taxes which she will not have any opportunity to have the benefit because we will have to go back to Thailand for good. Can she get a refund...

View more questions Search