Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    withloveraj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 08:59 PM
    Which is better resident alien or non resident alien to file taxes?
    Filing as NR alien or resident alien, which is more benificiary?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 09:35 PM

It is not your choice. You need to figure out if you can file nonresident return, resident return or dual status return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file taxes - US citizen married to non-resident alien [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there - I got married in 2009 to a French citizen (who completed two student internships here and has a SSN). I live and work in the US and he is in France, finishing his masters, while we wait for his visa and work permit to come through. As a full-time student he is being supported by his...

Joint tax return non-alien resident and alien resident with form 1042s [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My wife is an alien resident, but we just got married, so I am still a non-alien resident. We are intending to fill out joint tax return as alien residents. But my problem is I have both w-2 and 1042s forms. The 1042s reflects my income from a fellowship which has been taxed each month. The...

Alien Resident Parent of US Citizen required to file/pay taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

My mother is a resident alien living with us for most of the year. Is she required to file an income tax return? Her only source of income is a small annuity from my father's retired military pension (non-US).

Can I Jointly file tax return with spouse (resident alien & non resident alien) [ 1 Answers ]

I am in H1B worked in two different states in 2008 01Jan08 - 25Feb08 - Texas 05May08 - 13Aug08 - Texas 14Aug08 - 31Dec08- Illinois Note: march-April in India Spouse moved to US on 24 Oct 2008 in H1B got SSN in nov and doesn't have W2 for 2008 1. As per substantial presence test myself...

I was non-resident alien in 2007, but resident alien in 2008. Stimulus payment? [ 6 Answers ]

I was non-resident alien and filed 1040NR in 2007, but I was resident alien in 2008 and am filing 1040-EZ with Turbo tax. I am also seeing that, on the instructions for form 1040, it says: "This credit is figured in the same manner as the economic stimulus payment you may have received in...

View more questions Search