Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mochamistie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 01:41 PM
    California laws on child abandonment
    Hello, I need help fast. I was (and still currently am legally married) for the past 13 years. We have a 12 yr old daughter and in 2002 we split. We made the decision together to leave him custody of our then 4 yr old daughter because he had a job and a home to give her, when I left, I moved about 400 miles away. I was in a bad marriage with no one to help me and when I finally had a way out, I took it. I didn't have a job and was living in a one bedroom apt with a friend and her son and I didn't feel that was the best place to have my daughter. My ex then moved around after that, not contacting me and never leaving me a place to call him. He would call me via payphones when he needed money and then I changed #'s but still held the same address for 6 years, he stopped calling me after 2004 and I never heard from him since. I had been paying child support since 2006 so I knew they were OK, I just didn't know how to find them. Last year, 2009, my daughter found me via myspace and we have since reconnected and have established a relationship. Her father is angry and at and insists that I abandoned her when that wasn't the case at all. Now he's trying to not let me see her. We still don't live near each other, we're about 500 miles apart. There have never been any legal papers filed as far as custody rights so don't I have any rights to her? I just don't know where else to go.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2010, 01:49 PM

Is there an Order for child support?

You need to file for custody of your daughter - the Court will evaluate all parties and determine what is in her best interest.

Are you and the father in the same State?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child abandonment law of california\ [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, my two sons have not had any contact or have received any child support from their biological father over 11 years, they were 2 and 4 years old last time they saw him. Both of my sons are now over the age of 13, but still a minor. My husband of 9 1/2 years of marriage has stepped up and...

Laws on child abandonment? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a three almost four year old daughter, her father has not paid one dollar to child support, it is not court ordered and we have not done a dna test. He is not on the birth certificate, yet I was told that I can not have her adopted with out the biological fathers signature. I was wondering...

Laws of child abandonment in California? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a mother of a 11 year old girl. I raised her by myself for nearly ten years. Her father and I never married. I left her father when she was about a year old because he was physically abusive to me(even hospitalizing me ) and because I caught him giving our baby girl a bath with him and he had...

Child abandonment laws [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I live in Illinois. He has joint cusody of his 3 children with his exwife. He was paying almost 50% of his check for child support, and picking them up on the weekends. As of Feb of 2006 he was injured on the job, and hasn't worked since. His ex wife dropped the children off March...

Child abandonment laws [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé would like me to adopt her four year old son, as would I. The child's father has only seen him a couple times and has had no contact with him in a year. He only pays his child support to get out of jail or else to keep from going to jail he will make a quick payment to save his own butt!...

View more questions Search