Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monzo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 11:57 AM
    Are you allowed to get ssdi and unemployment
    I worked as a bedside nurse. My hands were bad for years but I wanted to work. I finally had ligament reconstruction surgery on both hands. I still continued to work even though it was painful to do so. I lost my job about a year ago. I started collecting unemployment but tried to find a job with no success. I am also 56 years old. I filed and won a reward for ssdi. They were aware of my unemployment benefit. When I was approved for extensions. I was told it was all right. I was and still am trying to find work. It's hard to explain. I am truly disabled but I am willing and if I find work. I would take the position in hopes of being able to function. I am now involved with vocational rehab. I live in nj. Is it correct for me to be collecting unemployment and because of the extension SSDI?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 12:19 PM

I know how stressful nursing can be on hands for sure, monzo and sympathize and understand your predicament. I found no information regarding collecting unemployment insurance while receiving benefits, but I don't think you can and you had better check, anonomously of course, with unemployment insurance office.

Here in Ontario, we can collect unemployment but it is adjusted downward if we have other benefits payment. May be the same in the U.S. not sure. For those that are not up front about their benefits while collecting unemployment, they can be caught out and have to repay the balance to unemployment insurance.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remarrage and SSDI? [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend was awarded SSDI, he currently married. We would like to marry each other once his divorce is final. One question that is a concern for us is, will he lose his SSDI if he remarries?

SSDI and Self Employment [ 4 Answers ]

My SSDI benefit isn't enough to meet my monthly expenses and I need to go to work, but can't afford to lose my benefit and insurance. Is there a way that I can either become self employed or go to work for someone else on a 1099-MISC basis?

Please help ssdi ? [ 1 Answers ]

I have written a couple questions about social security I have one more question if you don't care. I called ssa and asked about my claim last week they told me it went from Baltimore Maryland to pittsburg does anybody know why they sent it to pittsburg. Is that were they issue checks that the...

Ssi and ssdi [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know if a privet person sue you when you are on ssi and ssdi thank you

View more questions Search