Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mztkhj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 11:52 AM
    Move the 9-volt from Smoke Detectors to eye height
    With high/cathedral ceiling more and more common in houses, including my own, I'd like to move the batteries for the smoke detectors down to eye height. I hate to get the 12-foot ladder up and maneuver through the house just for a 2-minute battery swap. I thought of adding an electrician's box at eye height and running the battery wire through the wall.

Does anybody know what you'd have to do to make this happen. Will a 9-foot length of wire cause electrical issues that will need to be corrected? Will it cause the battery to drain faster?

Any off-the shelf components to show the level of charge remaining in a 9-volt battery that I could put in there as well?

Thoughts?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2010, 06:34 AM

Instead of doing all that, you might take a look at the AlarmArm. This allows you to install and replace the batteries in a smoke detector from the ground. I believe it uses its own smoke alarm, so you may have to bring your ladder in one last time to remove your old one and put the new one in its place--but that would be the last time you'd need the ladder!

I heard about this on the "Daily GizWiz" podcast. If you listen to this, you can skip the first 10-11 minutes of banter.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    mztkhj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 05:11 AM

Not bad for those Alarms not wired into the house's electrical system. Good idea for those... but for those that are wired (but still have battery backup), this wouldn't work. Thanks for the link. I'll be sharing this one with friends.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2010, 05:44 AM
    Per NFPA 72 Section 29.8.3.1 Peaked Ceilings, a smoke detector shall be located within 36 inches of the peak, and closer than 4 inch.

This can be reviewed at:
    NFPA 72: National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code

So, having a cathedral ceiling is a architectural element that must be dealt with, so you have no other choice but to hang onto your tall ladder.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2010, 07:49 AM

Thoughts:

Could violate UL listing.

But, I'd use stranded wire, at least 4 conductor and probably 22 AWG. A simple battery clip from Radio Shack would connect to the battery clip in the detector and place one in the wall too.
    Watch polarity. There may be a polarity reversal, so you can't go by colors if you use the clip method. Ask for 9V battery clips. Heavy-Duty 9V Snap Connectors - RadioShack.com

If you want to check and don't have a meter, get a 1K resistor and an LED and put in series. The LED will only operate in one direction.

Depending on the smoke detector, you may be able to bring down the test button wires as well to a new switch, but you may have to solder wires in place. Hence 4 conductor. But you could operate the test button with a long stick. This may work as a switch: Jameco Electronics Electromechanical: JUDCO MANUFACTURING: 40-1665-01

October or around Halloween is when the batteries are replaced at home. It's just a once per year day that's been picked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smoke detectors going off [ 12 Answers ]

Our smoke/fire detectors went off in the middle of the night--the one downstairs first, then the one upstairs, with no detectable cause. We opened some windows and the shrieking stopped. What could have caused this? This morning as we sat at the breakfast table, a bright light flashed above...

Smoke detectors [ 0 Answers ]

As part of a renovation I am thinking about running electric to my smoke detectors in my ranch house from the basement. I have a couple of questions. - Are there combination smoke/CO2 detectors that can inter-communicate ? - Do these units need to be replaced every 5 years? - Can the units...

Smoke detectors going off [ 1 Answers ]

Our smoke detectors are wired and have a battery in them. Theyare going off during the day about 10 20 times during the day, but after 6pm they do not go off at all. I changed all batteries and re set the breaker in the box but nothing.Please help me because they are driving my wife and kids crazy...

Smoke detectors [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Besides the smoke detector that is require in the hallway, does the NEC require also to install them in all bedrooms or only in the master bedroom? Thanks

Smoke Detectors: Something is not right [ 2 Answers ]

I have 5 detectors in the house: 1 in the basement, 1 in the MBR on the first floor, and 3 upstairs in the bedroom. The detector in the basemet has a Green LED on. I am assuming it is the first detector in that circuit coming from the breaker box. Inside the basement detector are 4 other...

View more questions Search