Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mda687 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 03:37 PM
    Not Legal domestic partners share credit cards and bank account now he passed
    I share credit cards with my deceased lover of 12 years he's on my bank account and I'm on his credit card,
    dynocompe Posts: 331, Reputation: 56

Mar 3, 2010, 03:49 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss!
    mda687 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 04:00 PM
    I am a gay man whose lover just died after 12 years I am left without his help
    I am to young to get Social security but depended on my 12 year relationship with another man to pay half the Bills using his and my Money Combined we have a Shared Bank Account Car and Credit cards he just died and I am unable to cover our Bills without his help is there assistance to common law gay marriage.
    dynocompe Posts: 331, Reputation: 56

Mar 3, 2010, 04:09 PM

Where do u live?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2010, 12:00 AM

If he had any assets they have to be used to pay off his debts prior to distributing to any heirs, so that would be important to know. If he had life insurance through work, for example, or government death benefits, they can be used toward paying the debt down.

However, even if you were legally married, shared debt would become the responsibility of the surviving spouse when one dies, which is why many people get life insurance on their spouses, etc. - so they can pay down the debt and keep the house and other items. The concept is joint and several liability - where the creditor can come after either or both parties to collect on a debt.

If there are no assets nor insurance I think you will have to negotiate with the lenders and hope they will understand. It can be very helpful to have certified copies of death certificate as you enter into these negotiations.

I am very sorry for your loss and for this difficult added stress. Best wishes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to obtain legal US bank account for non resident? [ 25 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a US non resident, and the only way to withdraw my funds from PayPal is by an abroad bank account and a debit card. PayPal doesn't charge for transferring money to any US bank Account - even to brokerage accounts. I'll be very thankful if someone may give me some information about....

FBI Freezing Bank Account Legal Rights [ 2 Answers ]

Recently, the FBI froze my bank account due to embezzelment on someone else's part. What is my legal right to obtain and retrieve my money?

Who has legal access to a bank account [ 2 Answers ]

Can one married partner access the bank account of other partner if their name does not appear on the account. If the person who is not an account holder, transfers money from the spouses online account using a password acquired by deceptive means, have they committed a crime?

Bank of America offers credit cards to illegal aliens. [ 21 Answers ]

I have radio on all day and have heard nothing BUT this debate over the past 2-3 days. I'm pretty sure I've heard every pro and con that there is. I'm hearing lucid arguments from both sides, but in the end I have to side with the ones who think it's not good - even though it apparently is legal....

DBA and Domestic Partners [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My registered domestic partner and myself are starting a small business in California. We are trying to file our DBA paperwork - but we don't know how. There is no category for domestic partners - only husband and wife, co-partners, etc. Does anybody know how we should file? Thanks!

View more questions Search