Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Remysmommy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 02:00 PM
    Estate claim for stepchildren
    My birthfather is in Nigeria and gave up rights to me and my sisters when he and my mom divorced. My mom subsequently married my step-dad when we were 12, 14 & 16 years old. My stepdad raised us in his house both before they were legally amrried and of course afterwards. Our mom died a few years later when we were 14, 16 & 18. Our stepfather continued to raise us, but never legally adopted us. He took care of applying for social security benefits from our mom for us and basically was the only parent we had. All 3 of us eventually moved out on our own after becoming adults. I moved back in with my stepdad about a year ago as he is 98. He now passed away and did not leave a will. He left minimal money but does have a house on a decent piece of property. He has no known living relatives (parents, siblings, first wife and only bio-child have all passed away before him). Do I have any rights to his estate? And what happens to his estate now?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 3, 2010, 03:12 PM

That is a tough one. Since you weren't adopted nor part of the bloodline then depending on your states laws it's a coin toss. The argument can be made that he held you as his own. And clearly he was a decent man to keep you after your mom passed. So it may be there is a chance for inhieritence. Again its going to depend heavily on the state you live in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making claim against estate [ 5 Answers ]

Why would an eligible person (adult child of deceased) wait to formalise their claim in NSW? This persons solicitor sent a letter to the executor in October last year advising they wished to make a claim but have not. The deceased passed away mid last year. No one I have spoken to can answer this...

Do I have a claim to my bio-fathers estate? [ 11 Answers ]

I am age 60. I live in CA. I have a half brother who also lives in CA, we share the same Bio. Father but not the same mother. I found out about my half brother about ten years ago when our father past away. I never knew our father as he and my mother divorced at my age 5. Our father never called...

Quick Claim Deed on Real Estate [ 4 Answers ]

In order to get a quick claim deed on my deseased husbands estate does the entire family have to be present at signing.

Claim on a step parent's estate [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone out there with experience in estate law could help me. Let me give a little background. My mother's birth father abandoned her before she was born. She was raised since the age of 1 by the person I consider my grandfather. Because her natural father refused to sign away...

Do I have any claim to grandmothers estate [ 6 Answers ]

My father died in January, 5 or 6 months prior to his death he received his part of his mothers' (my Grandmother) estate. His mother was never told he was dying, my grandfather died of the same thing as dad and we didn't think Grandma's health could take the blow. Since dad left his estate to his...

View more questions Search