Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weitings Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 01:45 PM
    Car mileage tax deduction
    I just joined some direct sales organization which effectively makes me Self Employed.

I know that for SE, we are allowed to use business-related car mileage as tax deduction. I am thinking about using the per-mile rate rather than actual expenses.

However, the car in question is NOT under my name even though I drive it (for business), and my name IS on the insurance. I think my Mom is listed as the actual owner of the car (but it's not her only car) and we live together.

Given this situation, can I still claim the mileage as tax deduction for business?

Thanks!!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2010, 01:57 PM

For starters, I hope you know you need to keep an accurate DAILY log with beginning miles... ending miles and trip miles... who it was to and what purpose, and who was driving (yourself), or the IRS might no accept it on an audit.

And I mean a dedicated log book you keep in the vehicle... not scraps of paper.

I don't know about the ownership issue end of it however.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 02:25 PM
    To use the standard mileage deduction, you MUST own or lease the car.

If the car is in your mother's name, then you can only claim actual expenses in claiming deductions associated with your business.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Standard mileage vs. Actual mileage [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I had business income last year in 2007 (Schedule C) so I took the auto actual expense deduction. In the current year I do not have the business income but I have the rental income where I can take the auto expenses in Schedule E. I want to know if I can take the standard mileage...

On the Indiana State Tax Return can I take the property tax deduction? [ 1 Answers ]

I received the 2008 property tax bill and paid the bill. I purchased the home in 2008 and the seller paid property taxes through an adjustment on the closing statement. The only qualification I see about property taxes is that they have to be the taxes for your primary residence and I satisfy...

Can you suggest me a best mileage used car? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi I am considering buying a used car out of Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus. I am in NJ and work in NY. My requirement Don't want to drive to office. Drive locally and on trip to out of state around US couple of time a month. I am looking for price range $5K - $20K & mfg 1995 - 2004, MAXIMUM...

Tax Deductible Mileage [ 1 Answers ]

I was told I could my mileage to school as a tax deduction. I have to drive an hour and a half each way 3 times a week. How do I go about keeping track of it for tax purposes? Do I count the miles there and back home? Or just miles to school. If anyone know how to go about this any info would be...

Car mileage reimbursement [ 3 Answers ]

I read that the IRS increased the mileage reimbursement to 48.5 cents/mile for business miles driven. Just confirming this info. Also, this is something standard across the nation? Thanks.

View more questions Search