Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrsmrichter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 11:33 AM
    Landlord Didn't Provide HOA Application & Deposited Fee in His Bank Account
    The lease states that HOA approval must be obtained prior to lease commencement date. And, that if approval is not obtained prior to the lease commencement date, the deposits must be returned to the applicant (me) and the obligations of all parties under the lease are terminated. Landlord told my Realtor and I that he is on the Board, to provide him with the check for the application fee and he would process the application.

It turns out he deposited the check into his bank account, and I have not had HOA approval. I contacted the HOA after being served his foreclosure papers two weeks ago, and after my Realtor asked if I'd ever been presented an application to fill out for the approval. I moved in November 1st, and he hadn't paid his mortgage since August. By the way, he's also a Realtor. I told her "no" that I had thought my LEASE would be presented for approval, not that I had to fill out anything. The HOA has confirmed that applications and approvals are MANDATORY to be in the community, and that approved tenants are provided a Certificate of Approval. He is also not a member of the Board that approves the applications - he's on the Board of this particular sub-division of the community.

According to my Realtor and it seems also according to the language of the lease paperwork, my lease is invalid. I'd like to confirm this.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 3, 2010, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmrichter View Post
    According to my Realtor and it seems also according to the language of the lease paperwork, my lease is invalid. I'd like to confirm this.
    So what do you want us to tell you?

I see nothing in your post putting the validity of your lease into question. It appears that whether your lease needs to be approved by the HOA depends upon the rules, covenants, etc. involving the particular HOA.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2010, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmrichter View Post
    Hello mrs.

In my view, the only way to get confirmation is to have one of the parties act in a manner that the other party thinks is contrary to the lease and files a lawsuit. The judge will confirm the law in the matter.

Short of that, given what's gone on, it seems to me either party could argue that the other is in breach and make demands based upon that conclusion. I don't know who would win that argument if there was one.

So, from OUR perspective, it really depends on what you WANT to do. If you wish to UN - involve yourself of that community, you certainly have the grounds, and we can help you do that. If, however, you'd like to stay,we can help you do that too.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Settle my judgement & release hold on my bank account [ 2 Answers ]

Thanks for taking my question, A creditor placed a judgement against me and had my bank account frozen. I called my bank and they said to contact the court, the court told me to contact the creditor. She said that the creditor has the power to release the hold on my account. I don't feel that I...

Judgement w/out my knowledge & Frozen Bank Account [ 7 Answers ]

Help! Nine years ago, I had two credit cards with small limits ( $300 and $400 ), both with the same company. After some financial hardships, I stopped making payments and they got a judgement against me for almost $3000. I paid this judgement in 2000 and have not had a credit card since! ...

Judgment & Bank Account Levy [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My bank account has been frozen by a collection agency/lawfirm that received a default judgment for $2,700. The original debt will be 10 years old this October. I will be going over to the Civil court and file a "Motion to vacate judgment" on the grounds I never received the court...

Joint Bank Account & Direct Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

I know this has probably been answered in some form within this forum, so I apologize. All of the details: My spouse has a bank account. It is in my spouse's name and I have been added as a "view only". I cannot move any money. Both of our payrolls are deposited into this account. Is his...

View more questions Search