Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kirbysaun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 10:33 AM
    Can a medical facility garnish my social security disibility income
    Greetings,
    I'm currently on social security disibility ins. I was hospitalized for a water accident a few years ago. I have discontinued my direct deposit and having my check's sent to a p.o. box. Since this is my only source of income, can the institution attach my disibility check? My 2 day hospitalization came to an amount of $29,800.00+. Also, there's other creditors nipping at my heels. I can't affored to pay all of them. I'm without a home and can't work because of medical issues; But, still seeking another source of income. Any suggestions? Thank you for taking the time to respond to my issues.
    Sincerely, K.N.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 3, 2010, 10:41 AM

They are not attaching the check per Se. They are attaching the funds derived from that check.

Once the check is negotiated, the money no longer belongs to the SS system.

And yes they can do that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much can IRS garnish from Social Security? [ 17 Answers ]

I was wondering how much the IRS can garnish from my social security check? I owe back taxes and they just sent me a letter stating they are going to take almost 45% of my social security check. It is going to leave me unable to pay my rent and utilities. Can they really take up to almost 50%. ...

Can the IRS garnish disability from social security? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe the IRS about 40 grand. I had 3 strokes recently and have applied for social security disability. If approved for disability my monthly check would be about 1800 dollars. What can I do to keep the IRS from my meager check?

Can Social Security garnish their own checks? [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to file for S.S. benefits at age 62. I was told I owed S.S. money some years ago. I filed a waiver and was exonerated from paying some $9,000. I just received another form-inquiry from S.S. to complete asking what I did with some $5,000. This money was covered under the waiver I had...

Can they garnish my social security disability check my only source of income ? [ 7 Answers ]

Court papers notifying me that I am being sued for payment of a credit card debt was found near my apartment. The writ of summons however was not placed in my hands nor was it sent through the mail. Was I legally notified because the papers were placed on the patio ground of my apartment and found...

Social security disibility [ 1 Answers ]

What are the non medical requierments for disibility

View more questions Search